Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #11

Re: Older parents

Wonderful news for them. My opinion on this (for what it's worth) is that if the woman is still able to conceive naturally, then nature doesn't have a problem with it and neither should anyone else. It's a different matter completely when a woman over 50 has gone through the menopause and has fertility treatment to have a baby. That to me is wrong as nature has already told them that it is too late and their time has passed. I hope your friends have a trouble free pregnancy Kazz, and that their new baby brings them all the joy in the world.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Wonderful news for them. My opinion on this (for what it's worth) is that if the woman is still able to conceive naturally, then nature doesn't have a problem with it and neither should anyone else. It's a different matter completely when a woman over 50 has gone through the menopause and has fertility treatment to have a baby. That to me is wrong as nature has already told them that it is too late and their time has passed. I hope your friends have a trouble free pregnancy Kazz, and that their new baby brings them all the joy in the world.
Thank you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
07-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #13

I totally agree with Alex. If nature allows them to have a baby then can't see what is wrong, I do have an issue with women over the menopause who have fertility treatment, however that's another topic!!

Hope your friends enjoy parenthood, sounds like they certainly deserve some happiness. My daughter was born on my hubby's 40th Birthday and it has never been a problem.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
07-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #14

It's the teenage chavettes having babies that bothers me, and there are plenty of those around!

My mother's generation were all having babies in their 40s. They married late due to the Great Depression and having to save up for years to start a home, and babies just came back then, whether you wanted them or not.

My mum was 40 when I was born and 43 when she had my brother. A friend of mine was born when his mother was 48. I don't recall the neighbourhood being full of handicapped children or kids have serious social/emotional problems due to their parents' ages.

Furthermore, old fathers have always been regarded as perfectly acceptable, found charming, in fact (see all our aging pop stars who become fathers in their late 50s and early 60s) but as soon as an older woman becomes pregnant the whole world sticks their noses in with negative comments.

The American writer and scholar, Allan Tate, had twins when he was in his 70s. No, he did live long enough to bring his kids up. When I worked at a university, many of the 50+ professors were abandoning their menopausal wives and marrying doting/ambitious students. It used to make me sick, seeing them pushing prams downtown. In one case the father died when his kids were toddlers. In another, the wife made a great career with his help, was offered a chair in another city, accepted it and left him behind with the 5-year-old. He had to take early retirement and stay at home to look after his son.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
07-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #15

I think its great news....I agree with Yola in saying its their life go and enjoy it. I would consider it and go for it if I could with my Fiance but he has already had the little mans op hes 49 and I am nearly 40 - age should not be a problem, but have all tests etc... and be well looked after by your Docs etc...

Great news for them.....x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
07-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #16

Congratulations for them I say!!! I don't think 43 is too old for a woman to have children, as everybody has said if her body lets her then good for them!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
28-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #17

Wish them all the very best from me too.

Brilliant news for them. I was 40 when I had ceilidh, Derek was 45. As for being the oldest parents at the gates, who gives a hoot!!
I think its about time your friend had some good luck dont you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I would be happy for them of course, but would have some worries over the pregnancy for a more mature woman.
I don't think that 43 would be considered a worry in this day and age. People live so much longer these days and there has been such an increase in medical advancement that I wouldn't be worried at all about their ages.

I am 40 and really wouldn't want to have a baby now at my age, mainly because I just couldn't imagine starting all over again with the baby/toddler stages I feel perfectly fit enough to have a baby, however and if it was something we wanted then my age wouldn't put me off. My parents were 'older' and I did rather wish as a child that they had had us younger but I really think things are different these days.

Good luck to them Kazz - I wish them every happiness

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #19

Kazz, how is your friends pregnancy progressing?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #20

She is getting on very very well. Thanks for asking.