Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-11-2006, 10:51 PM   #1

Older parents

Well last night at the wedding friends of mine told us all they are expecting a baby. Jo is 43, husband Phil 45. They met about 5 years ago and they said they'd never really considered children.
Jo has been married before but lost 3 babies in her late 20's just bad luck the doctors said, then her hubby Colin (a lovely chap) was killed in a car accident.
Her hubby Phil - a confirmed batchelor before meeting Jo.

They are very happy and have announced it now, surprised me how people reacted.

What would be your thoughts?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
06-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #2

Re: Older parents

Good luck to them! Hope all goes well. they will make wonderful parents, I'm sure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
06-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #3

I would be happy for them of course, but would have some worries over the pregnancy for a more mature woman. Also wonder how the child will feel having older parents as teenagers are a nightmare!!

Catsey Veteran

06-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #4

I think they're scared of being the oldest parents at the school gates - but I said "Blow the world" you'll be great.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #5

Good luck to them, they will probably make better parents than couples half their age .......... they'll have more patience for a start..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #6

Mixed thoughts about this: she's nearing the time of low fertility and the odds of conceiving aren't very good. Also, babies born to women quite late in life are more likely to have birth defects. And having parents who are "grandparent" age can be horribly embarrassing to teenagers. But on the positive side, more mature adults can make great parents, life experiences help them cope with things better, and they are likely to be more financially stable...che sera sera......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #7

Oops, missed that she was already pregnant......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #8

I'm 41 and hubby is 55. Neither child is currently suffering as a result of our age. OK, we don't run around and play football with them - but then maybe we wouldn't if we were in our 20s or 30s either!! However we feel we can offer stability, nurturing and strong family support to our boys.

My parents too were older, Mum 40 and Dad 47 when I was born and to be honest, it didn't really make too much of a difference to me when growning up.

Kazz - good luck to your friends - life's too short to worry about what everyone else thinks . . . just tell them to invest in some industrial-strength concealer for the first months of baby's life

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #9

Wish them all the best, I don't see a prob
lem with older parents, and as Mags says, will probably be a lot more patience.....

Catsey Veteran

06-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #10

Thanks to you all for your replies.

They are over the moon and Phil's Mom and Dad are apparently beside themselves with happiness as Phil is an only child and they had given up on him getting married let alone having children so now over joyed. But made him promise not to name the baby after either of them as they can't lumber a baby with the name Nora or Cyril.

Thanks Yola Phil said himself oddly enough can't see me climbing tree's but then again I wouldn't have done that at 20 either I can't stand heights