Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #1

Cold Sores

Thought sufferers might be interested in this new product
http://www.compeed.co.uk/
It's not cheap at £6 - £7 for 15 patches (sufficient to treat one sore) but Zovirax is not cheap either. Nothing else actualy works.
So, if the Compeed keep you comfortable and prevent to final long-lasting scab stage, they may be well worth the money.
I'll try them next time I have an outbreak and let you know. The prospect of having the ugly things hidden is very appealing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #2

Re: Cold Sores

lol, I know what you mean DM. I suffer from the horrible things quite often. Let us know how you get on with them next time and I'll give them a go.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #3

I'm fortunate that I've never suffered with cold sores but agree that product looks very helpful to those who do.......

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
04-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip, Dinahsmum!

I thanked god on my knees when Zovirax came onto the market. Before then I had to suffer from what were sometimes horrific outbreaks, covering my whole mouth.

The patent on Zovirax has now expired so there are now several dead cheap creams on the market, chemists' own brands, which contain exactly the same active ingredient as Zovirax.

Herpes simplex is a virus that gets into your body and remains there for the rest of your life. So watch who you are kissing, and, more importantly, watch who is kissing your babies and children, 'cos that's how most of us got the virus in the first place.

Outbreaks are caused by 1.: sunshine, so use a factor 60 cream. 2: being run down or ill with colds and flu. 3.: stress and overwork.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #5

Right, at the moment I have all 3 factors taken care of, so I should be about due for the biggest cold sore of my life, lol!

Catsey Veteran

04-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #6

For a totally non-life-threatening ailment, they have the most amazing knack for not only making you feel like **** - hey - you look it too!
I sometimes have outbreaks so bad that my glands get swollen under my chin. Ugly and in pain - that's why i thought the disguise would be good!
Interesting what you say about the patent Sandy; I haven't noticed that over here but I'll ask around now.

..... and I'm obviously a rotten, cold, mother . Neither of my kids has caught the disease - but I was very particular about not kissing them if I has a sore, or felt I was getting one.

PS - Add cause 4: Cold winds

Catsey Junior

04-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
For a totally non-life-threatening ailment, they have the most amazing knack for not only making you feel like **** - hey - you look it too!
I sometimes have outbreaks so bad that my glands get swollen under my chin. Ugly and in pain - that's why i thought the disguise would be good!
Interesting what you say about the patent Sandy; I haven't noticed that over here but I'll ask around now.

..... and I'm obviously a rotten, cold, mother . Neither of my kids has caught the disease - but I was very particular about not kissing them if I has a sore, or felt I was getting one.

PS - Add cause 4: Cold winds
The pain under the chin doesn't surprise me, since the virus lives behind the ears when it's dormant and then travels down when activated.

I once was so bad, I had to wear a scarf over my mouth at work, whole mouth smothered in blisters and scabs, looked absolutely dreadful.

My daughter didn't catch it from me either. Kissing when the blisters are wet is the means of contamination.

The active ingredient is 'Aclicovir' , just check the labels at the chemist's. (I've got a tube on my desk right now and another one on my bedside table, lol!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aciclovir

Just checked the price of the stuff I use: half the price of Zovirax.

Catsey Veteran

04-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #8

Great tip Sandy
I've found that Tesco do an Acyclovir cream for £3.49. Cheapest I've found Zovirax is £5.99.
.......... and I, too, keep a tube in my handbag and in my wash-bag (as they always try to sneak up on me when I'm away from home!)

Catsey Junior

04-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #9

Brilliant! Ain't the internet wonderful?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
04-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #10

I am suffering one at the moment, its made me feel yuck and grey if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the tip x