Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
31-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #1

Wisdom teeth!

I went to hospital on Friday & was 'knocked-out' so that i could have my four wisdom teeth removed. My whole face had swollen up, including my eyes and neck!! The hosptial gave me painkillers, antibiotics and a mouth wash, which i am still using.

The problem is that im still in agony. It feels like ive got ice stuck in the holes. The swelling has gone down alot, but im still taking as many painkillers as possible (without overdosing on the amount!)

Anybody had this done before?
If so, how long did you take to recover?

Thanks in advance! (im off to bed again!)

xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #2

Re: Wisdom teeth!

Ouch - poor you! Wisdom teeth are just useless.

Have you tried Veganin? Very good for dental pain. Otherwise, maybe a well wrapped hot water bottle to hold against the poorly part of your face? .... and time ......

back to bed with you!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #3

I had my wisdom teeth taken out by the dentist with no trouble at all but my daughter had to go into the Dental Hospital to have hers out at the age of 15. They were growing beneath her back molars so they had to cut into the bone to remove them. When she came round after the op her poor face looked like a hamster'sShe was allowed home the following day with AB's and painkillers and the swelling took about a week to go down. She used warm salty water for a mouth wash.

I hope your pain will start to ease soon............make sure you don't get any food stuck in the cavities, well rinse your mouth after eating

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #4

Mags - are you my Mum ??? What your daughter went through is exactly what I experienced - right down to my Mum laughing at me and calling me a hamster!

'Cept I got let out the following day (a weekday) and my Mum had to get me home by tube in the middle of winter with a huge scarf wrapped round my face

In answer to your question Tanya - it can take quite a long time for the pain and swelling to go down . . . and having all 4 teeth removed at the same time is bound to take a while to recover.

If you're concerned at all about infection etc, I would get yourself to the doctor . . . don't wait around for it to get worse. Good luck - hope the pain diminishes soon.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
31-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #5

Thankyou for everybodys experiences and best wishes...

My sister called me many names, one of which was a hamster!! My boyfriend called me a muppet and a puppet, coz he thought my face had lost its shape. My mum was quite sympathetic! She did call my 'new face' names, but knew i was in agony, so kept saying 'it will look better tomorrow...'.

Im just worried coz im in my final year at uni and two weeks today i have to hand in a literature review (which is part of my dissertation!) that has got to be 4000 words! I dont have any enery to do anything and every time i try to read i fall asleep. Maybe tomorrow i will feel a bit better...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
31-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #6

((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
Maybe tomorrow i will feel a bit better...

I hope so!! You'll certainly need a clear head to pen 4000 words

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 gorgous mogs
31-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #8

i had only one of my wisdom teethe taken out, it was causing me a great deal off pain, i was a wake when she pushed a metal rod hard into the toothe and tried to crack it but she hurt me so much that i had to have at least 3 freezes of injection, in the end she managed to crack it and relieved she had finished but i never had any pain after and no swelling either so i was lucky.
tracy