Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #1

Glucosamine

Has or does anyone use this supplement? I would be interested to know if it has benefited you at all.......and how long it took to 'feel' those benefits.

My OH has had a troublesome knee for a few years and his consultant has now told him he has arthritis in it as well as the other problems. A few people have told me that glucosamine can help the joints but they haven't actually used it themselves though.

I would be grateful for any feedback, thanks!

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
09-10-2006, 03:51 PM   #2

Re: Glucosamine

Yes I take it, but stopped for a few weeks and Boy, didn't I know it. Back on the full dose now, but I take the Glucosomine and chondrontin.

My son was staying with friends this summer in Denmark and they went for a long cycle ride and next day his knees were giving him gyp. His friends - both Doctors, told him to get started on glucosomine and that they both take it.

It is certainly worth a try - prices vary, don't think the expensive is the best, go for the contents and special offers. Logoes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #3

What is this stuff and what does it help?? My 14 year old son has sore knees through playing too much football - will it help?

Global Moderator

09-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
What is this stuff and what does it help?? My 14 year old son has sore knees through playing too much football - will it help?
It is a supplement that is used to reduce pain and stiffness in joints and it also helps to keep the joints supple.

I may be wrong Donna but I don't think it is recommended for children.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
09-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #5

Thanks Mags. Will take him to my doctors if his knees dont get better - he wont rest so maybe a doctor telling him will do the trick!!

Global Moderator

09-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Thanks Mags. Will take him to my doctors if his knees dont get better - he wont rest so maybe a doctor telling him will do the trick!!
I would definately take Sean to the docs Donna, you never know what damage could be caused as he gets older.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #7

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left thumb joint in 1997 (have since developed it in right thumb joint). I have taken glucosamine chondroitin regularly and have had very few flareups since....usually when I thought it had been under control for so long that I could reduce the dosage from two pills daily to one!! I take one at lunch and one at dinner and it most certainly has kept my pain under control. As to children, it's designed for adults with the normal deterioration of cartilage around the joints due to aging. I also take Lyprinol, which is a natural extract that also promotes joint relief...one capsule daily. I recommended glucosamine to my neighbor down the block who has osteo in his hip....he said it is helping. Follow the package directions: as I remember it was about a month before I got pain relief and was able to drop from three tablets daily to two, the mintenance dose. It's definitely worth trying...works for me !!

Global Moderator

10-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #8

Thank you Logoes and Dandysmom for your input....it's been very helpful

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #9

Glad to share my experience! Forgot to say I agree with Logoes that it's not necessary to buy the high-priced nationally advertised brands such as OsteoBiflex or ArthX...they are pricy; I only get them when they're on sale or I have a good coupon; normally buy the house brands from the pharmacy or supermarkets. They work just fine! Your OH might want to check into Lyprinol also; it's an extract of mussels which also works on osteoarthritis. I take both glucosamine chondroitin and Lyprinol. Incidentally, there are no side-effect warnings for either. Hope he tries it/them with success!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
11-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #10

My husband takes it every day. Glucosamine plus Chondro something - I'll get the tub and tell you the dosage etc soon... or now! Glucosamine Sulphate 500mg with Chondratin 100mg. He takes 2 a day, at breakfast. They work almost immediately and he feels it (knees) if he doesn't take. Here you go http://www.naturesbest.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=540
His sports physio reckons it's better than daily ibuprofen, no side effects have been found so far. Most sports people take it now.

Good luck!