Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #11

Re: The proplems with dry food

Fingers crossed for you and Willow!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
05-10-2006, 08:21 PM   #12

Fabian has special dry food from the vets which is for urinary related problems. He doesn't have these problems but had high calcium levels in his blood - the food has helped to reduce these levels. I couldn't feed him the wet version as he will not touch wet food - I have tried everything on the market. He doesn't even like cooked meat or fish!

Fabian does drink lots of water though - I have a Catit Water Fountain which all three love and I'm constantly refilling it!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Three domestic short haired cats
hamish is Male
05-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #13

Success !! Willow has started to eat. its only taken 4 days. I got the tins of s/d from the vets today and as soon as i opened the tin to see what she would do she was staight in. The stuff looks like boggin but she seams to prefer it than nice succulent chicken breast. not complaining though at least she is now eating and its the food she is supposed to be getting anyway

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #14

That is good news Hamish, I'm so pleased!

Keep us posted as to how she gets on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
05-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #15

Woo Hoo Hamish! Excellent news (haven't heard the word 'boggin' in ages, lol)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
09-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #16

thats what babrnaby had wrong with him, and it was down to dry food. but once we kept him off the dried stuff he was fine, ok he had a little op to clear the blockage, but he was fine. (((hugs to willow))))

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
30-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #17

I'd be very surpised if the cause is dried cat food. Many vets advise only dried cat food, since it contains all they need and is great for preventing built-up on teeth.

This is a problem with older cats: the built-up gets so bad that they are in pain, and they have to be given an anasthetic for it to be removed, which they don't like doing, since there is always a risk with older cats especially.

I give my cat one feed wet food and one dried food per day.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Three domestic short haired cats
hamish is Male
31-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #18

OK I am not a Vet, but I do trust my vet and if he says that the stones in her bladder are caused by dry food i am not in a position to argue. There is no other reasons why she has got stones there and all £200 quids worth of tests, x rays etc says that its due to the dry food. I have always fed my dogs and cats on dry food, its easy to work with, you can leave it out and the flies wont get at it and it is good for their teeth so if i could i would go beck to feeding Willow the dry food.
Unfortunatly the special diet and anti biotics havent worked so she is going in to the vets on Thursday for an operation to have them removed. The X rays looks as if she has been eating lots of little marbles and the blood that she is producing in her pee is caused by the stones damaging the wall of the bladder. Heres hoping !

Thank god for insurance (not that no insurance would have stopped me anyway)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
31-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #19

All the best for Thursday, Hamish! I hope it all goes well.

I'll be getting a whopping great vet's bill soon too. I'm not insured, but I'll pay whatever it takes. My cat has cost me practically nothing in 13 years so I reckon she deserves it.

I find the big things, like operations, are not too bad. It's the little extras, like x-rays (50 euros each) that mount up.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #20

Good luck on Thursday Hamish, I hope it will all go well.....