Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
29-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #1

argh..why is it that...

...when my mother is coming to visit, i get all worried about the state of the house and her judgement on my housekeeping skills? my parents are coming on saturday to drop off the two kitties i'm taking, meet all the babies, and go out to lunch...and i am scrubbing and vaccuming like crazy. my house is more "animal friendly" than human friendly..it's pretty much "decorated" around what would be fun for them..not for company or social gatherings exactly. if you're an animal lover, i think it's a neat house. they like animals but not obsessively like me and my boyfriend where we plan our life around them..i'm 28..why do i care what my mother thinks? argh..i'm gonna be nitpicking and freaking out at every little piece of dirt till the visit is over...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

Re: argh..why is it that...

It's something you never grow out of Tink!
Actually I'm fine with my own mum but if my MIL is visiting I have to have a thorough scrub.
Daft isn't it?
Try no to stress too much

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
29-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #3

I'm with DM on that Tink. I'm 46 and staying at Mum's just now. She's been away for a month, gets back tomorrow. I have dusted polished vacumed at least 3 times since yesterday and will do it all over again tomorrow morning

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
29-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #4

Oh yeah, I so know how that goes lol!! As my mum and I haven't spoken since last summer I don't have that problem just now, but when my MIL came last weekend, I tidied but not excessively as she is very laid back. As she says, she comes to see us, not the house. Whereas one time my mum came to visit she commented that we had too much dirty washing in the washing basket!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
29-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #5

I am lucky that way, my mum keeps on at me to stop cleaning, she says there is more to life....and I do not have a MIL now...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
29-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #6

Blimey whats with the cleaning, is your mother mrs bucket?????
your mum is coming to see u not how u live. just a quick tidy up should be enough.
wish u luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

My mom has been gone since 1955, but she was an obsessively tidy housekeeper, bless her, and would have had a fit at my relaxed style of housecleaning....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #8

Ah now you see ladies, this all goes up to making up that average of 16 hours per week spent on housework! (another thread)

I know it's really hard Tink, but just try to relax about it - all that cleaning is probably not good for the animals!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
29-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #9

My poor mum is no longer with us, but I was extremely lucky that she never, ever judged our way of living.

Tink, be youself, I'm sure your mum wil be pleased to see you - not the house!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
01-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #10

i guess that's true...i took a shop vac to the WHOLE HOUSE last night..it was insane! kuan yin and the dogs were just staring at me like "what is your problem???" LOL. i even emptied out the hampers just in case she saw my dirty laundry..they were only half full too and i doubt she'll want to spend loads of time in my bedroom..what is it with me? LOL...and about the MIL thing..omg, for some reason i not only tidy up when my OH's mom comes over, i go crazy doing my hair, makeup, and trying on a bunch of different outfits..i feel like she's comparing me to his exes or something..it's so silly!!! i usually am a person who doesn't care what others think but something about mothers freaks me out! i keep going in and cleaning the toilet after anyone uses it..this is so silly!
also, my mom's house is very "martha stewart-ish" and we are probably a little eccentric to her...our decorations have fairies and gargoyles..even some vampire pictures. she knows i am like that..i guess i just want her to think that even though my style is different it can still be a nice house.