Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
13-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

Dickens is terrified.

Two weeks ago, Dickens was taken outside ,along with his siblings to have a play while I was hanging out the washing. It was very windy and a big tarp that was covering the roof of our damaged garage was flapping around. Poor Dickens got a terrible fright and bolted for the road. My daughter caught up with him, but he was terrified and started leaping up at the glass windows to try and get inside. We let him in immediately, but now, he remains terrified of us and refuses to go outside at all. He spends his days under my bed, hiding from us, and only comes out for food. He shies away from me when I try to pat him, and I really don't know what to do. Dickens is an indoor cat but used to spend several hours a day in an outside compound with my other kitties. Now he won't even go into the compound. He is completly deaf so can't be soothed with words. I hate seeing my boy like this. Any suggestions on how to bring my poor boy round would be appreciated.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two rescues and one feral
17-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

Re: Dickens is terrified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky
Two weeks ago, Dickens was taken outside ,along with his siblings to have a play while I was hanging out the washing. It was very windy and a big tarp that was covering the roof of our damaged garage was flapping around. Poor Dickens got a terrible fright and bolted for the road. My daughter caught up with him, but he was terrified and started leaping up at the glass windows to try and get inside. We let him in immediately, but now, he remains terrified of us and refuses to go outside at all. He spends his days under my bed, hiding from us, and only comes out for food. He shies away from me when I try to pat him, and I really don't know what to do. Dickens is an indoor cat but used to spend several hours a day in an outside compound with my other kitties. Now he won't even go into the compound. He is completly deaf so can't be soothed with words. I hate seeing my boy like this. Any suggestions on how to bring my poor boy round would be appreciated.
Patience and calm. Do not try to push this; he needs time to get over the shock. I have seen this with the little feral I rescued. Her "safe place" was and still is under my bed. Coming out for food only and the tray. Gradually she is emerging at her own pace. Let him make the running. He knows you and will emerge slowly. May take weeks but time heals. At this stage the more you push the longer it will take. I know how hard it is. I have had this feral nearly two months so early days yet with Dickens.