Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
29-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #1

Nail Clipping

I was only ever to clip Devon's nails twice. The first time by myself, the second with my partner holding on to him. He's really smart and can basically only do things of this nature once then never again. I really want to be able to clip his nails at home so I don't have to drive to and back from the vet. Not that it's far or anything, just more convenient to do it at home and a better chance of being able to keep nails trim short more often than not.

Suggestions?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
29-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #2

Re: Nail Clipping

We clip Harris nails at home. I hold him and oh cuts 1 paw at a time. As soon as he starts wriggling, I put him down and give him treats then pick hum up and start again. We do this until all his nails are done. He's getting better though we can get generally 2 paws done until he starts wriggling. Just keep at it and he will get more tolerant of it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #3

You are brave! I've never clipped any of my cats' nails ... oh, just remembered once my lovely Smudge had a claw that was curling around and she did let me take the tip off but that's it. I find mine, being outdoor and indoor cats keep at least their front claws in good order themselves. Been a bit concerned at the length of my dogs' claws and wondering how to tackle them!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
29-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

I clip Big Foozy's myself but he's easy to do, he just sits there and purrs. OH does the dogs. I would think in time that Devon will realise that clipped nails means treats and will get better and less wriggly in time. Our other cats don't really need doing, we just have a lot of shredded furniture despite all the scratching posts!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
29-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #5

I have never clipped a cats claws, i found that they kept them short through the use of stuff outside and scratch pads

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
30-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #6

Some of ours have been happy for us to do it but others have not been so keen.

To be honest it was more of an issue when we had 'house cats' but these days the outside cats never really need doing.

Cuddling them in a blanket whilst you do it can help. Do it in their time so it doesn't become stressful and as already mentioned - a nice treat will make the whole experience nicer for them.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthair
11-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

Pete doesn't go out very often and his nails are getting long. I've managed to do a couple on the front and the back by distracting him and doing it when he's not looking, but as soon as he sees the clippers, he starts to attack them. I need to get them done properly as my legs are covered in puncture marks, but none of the mobile groomers I emailed have bothered to get back to me.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
12-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

I have put cats down a sleeve to worm them or give them medication. You could try this for the front paws and just get one paw out at a time. My legs look like tea bags too. Huggins and Swirl jump on my knee but if they start to slip they just dig all their claws in! Nice!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
17-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #9

Never attempted it

Do clip the dogs tho

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthair
15-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #10

I took Pete to the Groom Room at the local Pets at Home. It seemed to go ok and he wasn't obviously upset, but the next day he stopped peeing and ended up going to the vet who had to sedate & catheterise him to empty his bladder, poor boy. No more manicures for Pete!