Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #1

Pink dog

Can any one tell me what would turn a white dogs paws and tummy pink? I am guessing that it has to do with food and grooming, he is fed on bakers.
I think the owners think that it's something on the field, sand, clay or something but we use child play sand in the sand pit and the ground is not clay like.
No other white or pale coloured dogs are turning pink that use the field.
I have bathed him and it has faded a wee bit but not greatly.
Any suggestions welcome.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
17-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Re: Pink dog

Saliva can do it Elaine, does the dog lick its paws quite a lot? White dogs often get pinkish tear stains too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
17-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #3

It can happen if they are licking the areas a lot. What type/breed is he? If he is licking there is a irritant present, usually but not necessarily they are itchy. In this weather it sounds like contact - feet being first on the ground and tummy areas where he lies or longer grass will irritate. Both of ours are allergic to grass in the growing season, as now. Sometimes when they lick a lot, the fur or skin can turn brown or in this dogs case, a pink colour. Think the owner needs to take the dog for a wee trip to the vet

NB Bakers isn't the best food around but if he's always had it & only getting the problem now, I would be more inclined to look at the dogs environment ie garden etc

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Raggie X boy
29-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #4

When stains are found on the face, they are tear stains (commonly found in white dogs such as Poodles). When the staining is present elsewhere, it means that the dog has been chewing his skin and the saliva has reacted with the air and hair to produce staining.This means that an enzyme found in the dog's mucous membranes is reacting with oxygen and staining the hair.

The most common scenario is when a dog gets some moisture trapped in between its toes, which promotes chewing. (Anything that itches can cause a chewing episode). Also, ticks and mites often hide in this area, especially if it is moist. The stomach could be the next natural place for the dog to chew. I hope your dog is solved of this!! You can always buy sme special liquid but it can be costly

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
29-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #5

Thank you Pickalily, I am aware of tear staining etc. as a dog walker/pet sitter and having looked after these dogs for several years now, I pretty much know them and their behaviours. They are not chewing on themselves.

However the pinking has gone now after a trip to the groomers who agreed with me about the food they eat and the saliva staining.