Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #1

Throw my an opinion or thought

First I have to say there is nothing wrong with Sal she is fit well and here.

I have the perfect SBT my beloved Sal can't see me getting another they broke the mould......in my opinion. However I can't see me without a dog. So have been giving this a little thought of late due to neighbours having to have their dog PTS and another neighbour close to it with his old girl. And another lady who lives by me and I walk with at times who lost her 8 year old LabX lad to cancer. And of course Azz and his loss of Rocky.....

I like the following they may not meet or tick all my boxes but hey lifes not perfect

Border Terriers; Bostons; CKCS; Minature Poodle; Minature Schnauzer; Smooth Collies; And a lot of the wire haired terriers.

Diverse (ish) choices I know.

Not into high levels of grooming etc, happy with a daily brush. Although more than happy for regular visits to a groomer.
Not high energy. (By this I mean not needing lots of stimulation like a working breed)
Not a slobberer......

Not long haired
Not a toy breed (anything below about 10")
Not a guarding breed. (I do not have experience.)
Not a giant (I would class giant as Great dane giant schnauzer etc)
Not a large breed(class large as GSD/Lab).
Nothing against those breeds.
I have a small car live in a built up area and in an average semi.
Not a breed known to bark - be noisy.

I am willing and able to to walk an hour or hour half a day and longer on some days.

I know the following can apply to all dogs when brought up well with care/love/and a sensible approach

I would like a dog breed who is
Good with people. (not fussed if aloof to others as long as family friendly)
Friendly/chilled with other dogs -a social mixer I suppose.(not like me, I do not do groups but would like a breed that can mix)
Easy going nature.
Happy/confident.
Personality.

So suggestions people please.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggie
11-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #2

Re: Throw my an opinion or thought

Totally off topic!

Azz has lost Rocky? How? Why?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

Kazz - as much as I love my Monty Miniature Schnauzer, if you are worried about barking due to where you live, I'd opt for a different breed. Mini Schnauzers are renown barkers.

Met a gorgeous Welsh Terrier at class - so trainable, so well behaved and I do like the black/tan look!

Catsey Veteran

11-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette
Totally off topic!

Azz has lost Rocky? How? Why?
He died in his sleep in November last year...he had been ill for a while. He was just short of his 8th birthday.

There was a thread on dogsey.

Catsey Veteran

11-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Kazz - as much as I love my Monty Miniature Schnauzer, if you are worried about barking due to where you live, I'd opt for a different breed. Mini Schnauzers are renown barkers.

Met a gorgeous Welsh Terrier at class - so trainable, so well behaved and I do like the black/tan look!
Thanks Angie thats the sort of info I am after.....I do like the borders and also manchester terriers and bostons......think I am ruling out the smooth collie as I think it may be more active than I can give the time to be. I do like the smart look of the terriers; welsh, wire haired, kerry blues etc etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

I love my border greatly but you know the problems I have had with her and on talking with a great many border owners both here and across the country, they have fast become renowned for having digestive issues. She can be barky at times and although fine with MOST dogs, she can get snap happy when excited. Other than that she's perfect

There are several minature poodles at agility and flyball and all of them have lovely temperaments, not my kinda dog but may be yours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

i think it's too personal a decision to give you an opinion.
As you know i love Basenjis, they don't bark, need little if any grooming, are a convinient size and are great fun.
However they are more than capable of making a tremendous racket in other ways and are very whiley, you need to be one step ahead.
I like the look of bostons but don't know anything about the breed.
At least now you can connect with people over the internet to find out info.
When i got my first Basenji i obviously read the wrong book because i got a very big shock when i got him .
Have fun researching and keep us posted

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
11-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #8

I love greyhounds - that's why I have 3 - one is never enough! They are placid, gentle, un-demanding, don't need lots of exercise, don't shed very much, bark very little, good with people and generally good with other dogs, although not all greys are. However, they may be a little large for you Kazz, how about another Sighthound, whippet or lurcher?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggie
11-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
He died in his sleep in November last year...he had been ill for a while. He was just short of his 8th birthday.

There was a thread on dogsey.
Darn it, poor Azz Thanks for answering, Kazz..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #10

If I were changing breeds, I would go for a Basenji. Some of the breeds you mentioned need regular clipping/stripping so the expense of that needs to be taken into account as well