Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: non pedigree
31-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #11

Re: Our Budgie Blue

We got him from Pets at home, but he has no band. I know our other bird had one, so not sure why he hasn't.

Thanks Moli I had spotted him in amongst a quite a few birds so was very glad they managed to catch him lol, we had another bird also, who had quite a full necklace and she was so lovely, and died on my hand I was pregnant with my eldest at the time, and I was utterly heartbroken, she used to walk all over me lol!. Then we had a yellow one, of which we had for 6 years, but she sadly went to.

I am not sure of the average life span of budgies, I always meant to look it up lol, but I think Blue must be doing not bad, cause I imagine he must be at least 10yrs, but just a pitty we couldn't know how far over that he is.

He is a Lovely bird, and guaranteed, if we want to listen carefully to something on the tv, he will tweet his little head off lol! x

O dear I have chatted on a bit hehe, oops x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
31-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #12

oh he's lovely We have an aviary in our back garden, with 3 budgies in, all green and yellow colouring. We did have a blue one, but she died not long after we got her However, we have had our first clutch of eggs in March and are now the proud 'grandparents' of 4 babies, one of which is coming in blue can't figure out all this gene malarky, I'm just chuffed we have a blue one lol.

Catsey Junior

31-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #13

Awww Congrats on the baby birds and getting your blue one all the colours are lovely, my parents had a different blue budgie and green. All lovely xx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #14

He's lovely and looks in very good condition for the age you say he is....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #15

Alex - we need photos of your little "grand-budgies"!

I have a theory about budgies and age - there seems to be a line of those who live around 3 years and then another that goes 12+. We had one of each sort when I was a child. Sadly, the lovely friendly bird was the short lived sort and the grumpy old bird lived until he was 12!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
01-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #16

Yes, Lainey, it's heartbreaking when they die. They may be tiny, but they are such strong characters, they manage to wrap their tiny ways 'round your heart so fast..And as for chattering away when the TV's on..! I think they must think they are at home in their flock, and the urge to join in the chatter is just overwhelming!

I reckon your boy's a very young looking 10-12 years old. Budgies can live anything from 5, to 10-20 years, it really helps that they have good nutrition and fresh food daily, only 25% of their diet should be seeds. Sunflower seeds are a killer as they are too fatty and clog up their tiny arteries leading to stroke or heart disease, in moderation only. Smoke and teflon pans are also very bad for them.

Same here angie, but it was cockatiels, the sweetest of sweet natured one, who was a rescue, she passed on at about 12, whereas the grumpy one got very hormonal when she passed on, kept attacking me, so, sadly, but for the happiness of both of us, had to be rehomed. Maybe he was traumatised over losing her, I don't know..but he's much happier now and he has company.

Lainey, he's looks very healthy and handsome

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #17

Truth - we never let our budgies use teflon pans

Catsey Junior

01-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #18

I was in floods of tears when our birds died.

He is a beautiful bird, it is lovely listening to him twitter away, although sometimes the twitters aren't enough lol!
Something I love, is when we go to have something to eat, he does to lol!
I used to sing on a site online, and all you hear in all the music is him twittering in the background hehe.

Thanks for the estimations on his age he is our longest living pet, and pray for a good few more years yet xx

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
01-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #19

Angie, personally I never let mine loose in the kitchen either... altho' they were rather partial to scrambled egg now and then.

Lainey, most birds will eat with you, it's the flock mentality, all eating together for protection and bonding. I'll never forget how awe-struck I was when I realised every time I had a nibble, so did my bird! It's very sweet isn't it. Your boy sounds such a happy little soul.