Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #1

Jane Help !!!

Any advice on sick hammy's?
6 week old hammy's arrived at work on Wed. Arrived at work this morning to find a note from my boss saying one hammy had diahorrea wed night/thurs morning, by thurs afternoon was constipated, lethargic and not eating.
Had a good look at it this morning, looks a poor wee thing and is definately dehydrated. Managed to get it to drink a little. Called head office who said to give it a bit of fruit , they are useless. I called my vet and took it in this afternoon. Poor little thing is in a fair bit of discomfort and pain as it was squeeling. Talked with my vet and decided the best thing would be to pts but just as the vet was about to, the little beastie began to eat a little food. She brought it back to me and we chatted a bit more.
I have taken it home with me, vet gave me some probiotic to put in its water.
Thing is I am a little worried about what to feed, its constipated so I thought about giving it a little drop of olive oil or a bit of fig but am worried that it might start the diahorea again. He is badly dehydrated, I have put a small bowl of water in the cage as well as the bottle and have seen him drinking. If I just give dry food though, it wont help the constipation.
What would you do?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
05-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #2

Re: Jane Help !!!

Sounds like wet tail to me Poor hammy

Btw sorry it took me ages to reply I was asking someone what they thought

Basically you need to give a probiotic, prebiotic and to rehydrate, sugary water/honeyed water or flat full sugared sprite with the fizzz taken out (by microwaving). Baby food (especially the porridgey ones - I'm sure Hipp organic do a porridge one) helps give them fibre and fluids. Apparently it's a bad idea to give him veg or the olive oil. Live yoghurt is a probiotic so feed some of that and fibreplex is both a probiotic and prebiotic and can only be got from a vet, so yeah...hope I helped??

Oh and if the vet gives you baytril (which is a antibiotic) that is still better than the suggestions you've already got

edit: just saw in your post you have some probiotic for the water..what is it?

Catsey Veteran

05-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #3

Thanx so much Jane, knew you'd be able to help. I did think about sugary water but wasnt sure if it would help.
Am off to the shop now
Keep your fingers crossed for the wee man please, he's such a cutie xxx

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
05-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #4

My fingers are definately crossed for him Hope he pulls through. Charlie, Tic, Tac and Toe send him hammy kisses

Ahh..just thought I'd make sure, he is a syrian, right? (just because dwarfies can't get wet tail)

Catsey Veteran

05-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #5

Yes he's a syrian and a real cutie pie too.
He has just tucked into his yoghurt and is having a wash now. I just gave a teaspoon full, should I give him more later? I also put some honey and water in for him.
The vet said that she wouldnt give baytrill coz he's so young and his skeletal frame isnt fully formed, or something like that.
If he is still with us this time tomorrow, would that be a good sign? Just wondering as I read that they normally die after 24 to 48 hours of showing signs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
05-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #6

hope the little baby will be ok Elaine xx

Catsey Veteran

05-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #7

Little hammy is running on his little wheel, I am assuming this may be a good sign?
If so, I think I need to think of a name, kinda fallen for the little guy.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
05-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Little hammy is running on his little wheel, I am assuming this may be a good sign?
If so, I think I need to think of a name, kinda fallen for the little guy.
ahhh thats great news,you gonna keep him?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
05-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #9

"Lucky" I would say!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #10

Or Lazarus....