Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
06-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #11

Re: Controlling the grey squirrel..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I hate to sound like Animal Farm, but some animals are more equal than others! Who would object if a lethal virus could be found that would affect only rats? They destroy an enormous amount of crops, spread disease, bite children and animals, and as far as I can see are only useful as prey for very few other animals. Would it really upset the ecological balance if all rats could be eradicated? I'd welcome comments.......
It probably would somewhere down the line.

It's not about eradication IMO, it's about control and avoiding cruelty where possible. Ok if it gets to the point where they have to be thinned out then we should find a way to do it that won't let them suffer.

Look at a topic closer to home, colonies of feral cats. They are a nuisance to some people, they spread disease and injuries amongst the domesticated cat population etc and some people hate them. Does that mean they should just be terminated without a second thought by whatever means necessary?

I know some people can pick and choose where they draw the line to what they feel is acceptable cruelty but I just can't

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-10-2007, 02:07 AM   #12

Good points, Grete! I also abhor cruelty to any living thing, even vermin. And as to feral cats, I have contributed for years to Alley Cat Allies, a trap/neuter/spay organization for feral cats that does a fantastic job! But, sorry, I can't workup any sympathy for rats; guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. But appreciate your comments! (((hugs))) to you and a cuddle to Bubbles...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #13

Feral cats are controlled and removed in many places The diseases they spread are completely avoidable in our pets, so I dont think its a valid comparison. The Grey Squirrel is immune to a disease it spreads, it then passes the disease onto our native Reds which kills them.

Catsey Veteran

06-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #14

I know BD, it was just a comparison that one is something you care about and the other isn't but to me it's no different.

There are Humane ways to do it and should be used and neither should an entire species be eradicated.

I know I am over sensitive about animals and cruelty to any of them, no matter if they are pets or not, just gets me very emotional.

This is just my stance on it and I was attempting to explain why

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
I know BD, it was just a comparison that one is something you care about and the other isn't but to me it's no different.

There are Humane ways to do it and should be used and neither should an entire species be eradicated.

I know I am over sensitive about animals and cruelty to any of them, no matter if they are pets or not, just gets me very emotional.

This is just my stance on it and I was attempting to explain why
I understand grete, we all have our different stances on things, would be really boring otherwise.

Catsey Veteran

07-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #16

It really would

*hugs*