Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #1

Controlling the grey squirrel..

One thing is for sure, it's a big problem...

Could contraception be the answer?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7026097.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
04-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #2

Re: Controlling the grey squirrel..

I honestly don't know but I hate that they are trapped and killed. There has to be some way to control their reproduction rate and let them live their lives.

I feel the same way about pigeons.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
04-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #3

I agree Grete - there has to be a more humane way.

I saw a pigeon get hit by a car this morning and it really upset me. I know it's just a pigeon and there are millions of them - but I hate the thought that anything gets killed

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #4

Fascinating article, Mags, thanks so much for posting it! I had no idea they were carriers of the squirrel pox...another thing to dislike about them! Most of you know my opinion of the tree rats, so all I can say is good luck in at least limiting the population! You'll never be rid of them!!!

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
I agree Grete - there has to be a more humane way.

I saw a pigeon get hit by a car this morning and it really upset me. I know it's just a pigeon and there are millions of them - but I hate the thought that anything gets killed
Yeh I'm the same, I cry if I see anything get run over and I live in dread of running anything over. I will sit there in the car waiting for a bird to move out of the road, even with people honking their horns at me.

Most of the pest problems like pigeons and squirrels are ultimately caused by us - changing their environments to suit ourselves or removing their natural predators.

I just can't think of anything living as something to just throw away without a second thought.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
04-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #6

Well I welcome the day the whole flippin lot are gone, same goes for Wood Pigeons! They are a HUGE problem, they spread disease and kill native species. I have no problem shooting both species at every given opportunity, and if one day that goes towards a Grey Squirrel free UK, I will be delighted!

Catsey Veteran

04-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #7

Have to agree to disagree on that one I don't think we have the right to eradicate an entire species when we created the problem in the first place.

I think contraception is the answer and while it will take a long time before it has enough of an impact, it's better than outright slaughter and cruelty.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
05-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
Have to agree to disagree on that one I don't think we have the right to eradicate an entire species when we created the problem in the first place.

I think contraception is the answer and while it will take a long time before it has enough of an impact, it's better than outright slaughter and cruelty.
I think we have the right to eradicate any non native species that are killing our own native species with such ferocity that in a few years they will be extinct!

I appreciate your feelings grete and respect your opinion.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Well I welcome the day the whole flippin lot are gone, same goes for Wood Pigeons! They are a HUGE problem, they spread disease and kill native species. I have no problem shooting both species at every given opportunity, and if one day that goes towards a Grey Squirrel free UK, I will be delighted!

Not often that we agree Dawn but I have to say I am 100% in agreement with you on this one!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #10

I hate to sound like Animal Farm, but some animals are more equal than others! Who would object if a lethal virus could be found that would affect only rats? They destroy an enormous amount of crops, spread disease, bite children and animals, and as far as I can see are only useful as prey for very few other animals. Would it really upset the ecological balance if all rats could be eradicated? I'd welcome comments.......