Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #11

Re: Dogs & fireworks - for Moli

This begger belief

Thankfully it didn't go ahead

http://www.looking-glass.co.uk/campa...006-update.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
01-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
I think the worst bit about them is they can go off anytime. It's not just one night any more. Its about 2 weeks before and after.
I think they should only sell them for displays. No shop or supermarket sales.
I totally agree with that. I'm increasingly getting annoyed at fireworks being let off for birthdays and other celebrations all year round here. Can't even plan to make sure Bubbles is inside and at the first bang, she runs cos she's so scared.

There should be a law that says ONLY bonfire night. I hate seeing animals so distressed just for 10 mins of people being able to go ooooh.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annestaff
I used the DAP Diffuser plug in for the first time last year and it really did help. Ruby didn't bat an eylid at the fireworks , Cassy too was alot calmer and Harvey still got in a state but ther year before that without it I honestly thought he was going to have a heart attack and die on me he was that scared
This is what Gypsy is like too, she just freaks, almost climbs the walls..She smashed a huge plant pot last year......Funny thing is, it only started about 2 years ago, prior to that she did not bother...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #14

Harvey too wasn't bothered in the least about them the first couple of years Moli

Gypsy sounds just like mine usually starts with the shaking then the drooling then Harvey will pee himself but last year using the DAP it stopped at the shaking and drooling so he was alot better.

Catsey Veteran

01-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #15

She runs around panting, just knocking everything over...Problem is, Tara was begining to copy her lastyear....I would not mind if it was 1 night, but it goes on for a week or more.....she is the same with gunshots too....Yet we have a crow scarer that goes off in the field next to the house and she does not both about it....
Complicated things these dogs!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #16

My two luckily are not bothered at all although saying that last year Sal hated the whistling ones the ones that whistle then really bang loudly (at least I think they are the same firework ) But she just arked at them and I have taken to leaving the radio on in for both of them in the evening. Assuming the radio is a backgound noise.

Luckily neither of the cats were bothered at all. And in their later years both watched the council display from the back bedroom window.

I do feel for those of you with animals that hate them. And they seem to be on from about now (I have heard a few already) and Christmas now they do New Year too - oh well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #17

What a collection of Staffordshire Bull Wusses! I do feel for you though and count myself lucky that mine is (so far) OK. I think I would try the desensitising CD if I had the problem - as you have all pointed out there's no saying when you might get fireworks these days, so getting the dog to hear but not bother seems the best bet.
Good luck to everyone with this problem

Catsey Veteran

01-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
What a collection of Staffordshire Bull Wusses! I do feel for you though and count myself lucky that mine is (so far) OK. I think I would try the desensitising CD if I had the problem - as you have all pointed out there's no saying when you might get fireworks these days, so getting the dog to hear but not bother seems the best bet.
Good luck to everyone with this problem
Dinah is still a baby DM, Gypsy was 6 when she started to react to them...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
02-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli

Dinah is still a baby DM, Gypsy was 6 when she started to react to them...

Worrying thought. Must remember to keep the TV/radio on high in a few weeks time.