Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
18-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #1

Dehydration causes???

Hiya,

I can't remember if I posted about this at the time (as it was when I was moving job, house etc and didn't have time for the net!) by Abi wasn't very well at the end of August. It happened quite quickly and there wasn't really anything that I could put my finger on as such - she just wasn't herself. She wasn't eating as happily and her coat started to look greasy and her eyes lost their sparkle.

I took her to the vets and they immediately took her in and put her on a drip as she was getting quite dehydrated. They kept her overnight and also ran some tests. The next day she had perked up loads and came home.

I was nervous that the tests would show kidney problems (after Midas) but they all came back clear and the vet said that he wasn't really sure what had caused her to be ill and dehydrated (I should say that her poo was normal and she wasn't vomiting).

Anyway - she's starting to look like that again I rang the vets last night and I'm taking her in tonight after work to get checked over.

She's drinking fine, but she's not that keen on her food, her eyes look funny again and her coat is starting to look greasy again.

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas of what could be causing this dehydration (if it is that again) having ruled out kidney and liver problems??????????

She's just not herself and I'm even more worried now that it seems to be the same thing reoccuring

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
18-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #2

Re: Dehydration causes???

I remember that Charlie. I'm sorry I haven't got a clue but I hope that they find the cause. Fingers crossed for you and her ((((((((()))))) Hugs

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
18-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #3

Hope the problem is sorted out son and abi recovers
Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #4

How worrying for you! I have no suggestions, sadly; just hope the vet can get it sorted and find the cause of the problem,,,,,,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #5

Poor Abi, must be very worrying for you Charlie. The only things i know of that would cause dehydration are as you know Illness such as CRF, severe vomiting or diarrhoea. Other causes are fever, heatstroke and shock such as electrocution, poison or RTA.
I am sorry thats no real help, I am racking my brains to think of some sort of explanation for you.
Hopefully the vet will give her a thorough examination and determine why this is happening to her.
My thoughts and best wishes are with you both xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
18-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #6

Poor puss I can't think of anything that hasn't been suggested but just wanted to say I'm thinking of you both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
18-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #7

Is she coming into call Charlie or just coming out of one? If so it could just be down to a hormonal imbalance. Try putting the rehydration solution down in her water bowl instead of just water. It won't do any of the others any harm. I put the recipe for the solution in this section somewhere. Good luck.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
Is she coming into call Charlie or just coming out of one? If so it could just be down to a hormonal imbalance. Try putting the rehydration solution down in her water bowl instead of just water. It won't do any of the others any harm. I put the recipe for the solution in this section somewhere. Good luck.
Kay, here's the link to your rehydration solution ....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...ion+solut ion

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
18-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
Is she coming into call Charlie or just coming out of one?

I think she is speyed Kay??

I am sorry to hear that Abi is becoming unwell again Charlie, I do so hope the vets can get to the bottom of her problems, you must be so worried about her (((Hugs))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
18-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #10

i'm not sure if you mentioned this or not on another thread but does she eat wet or dry food?