Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Crossbreed
16-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

Disaster (nearly)

The brother came to visit yesterday and stayed for a couple of hours (I'm going to snap the COD disc). When he first got there he went on the balcony for a ciggie as there's no smoking in my flat.

After he left, the OH heard a tapping noise and then realised Stevie hadn't been seen for a couple of hours (he spends most of his time in the bedroom through the day; and he isn't a fan on my brother I think it's because my brother is loud.)

A quick search of the bedroom, the bath (another fave place of Stevie's) and the kitchen there was no Stevie.

OH opened the balcony door and there was Steive on the wall on the balcony, he came in and proceeded to cry as if to tell us off for not noticing that he's been missing!

Needless to say he's not been out of my sight since. Will take him out there now more often though as he must of enjoyed it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #2

Re: Disaster (nearly)

Was that his first time out there? How high are you, any danger of him falling if he sees a bird/butterfly and lunges at it?

Catsey Junior

16-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

DM yea first time out there! 1st floor (2nd if ur from across the pond ) so would get hurt if he did lunge!

Catsey Veteran

16-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

Hmmmm, think if it were me I'd take him out there on a harness, just to be on the safe side.

Catsey Junior

16-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

Most definately! I could take him down stairs as its all walled in with a door so he couldnt get out unless he became good at jumping!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
16-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #6

awwwwww poor Stevie
Like Eileen has said i would be careful of him on the balcony just in case .
Talking of missing pets, i sat down to eat the other evening and suddenly noticed Kwame (Basenji) was missing. As i opened the back door to shout for him i heard a mournful howling and began to imagine all sorts, including him being run over.
Fortunately he was only locked in the garage, he's followed me in unoticed.

Catsey Veteran

16-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju1989
Most definately! I could take him down stairs as its all walled in with a door so he couldnt get out unless he became good at jumping!
If you start them on a harness when they're young they adapt quickly and just take it as a part of life. All mine but Leia were harness trained and went for walks.

Catsey Junior

16-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Stevie is approx aged 3 so don't know how well the harness will go down. We're going to cat proof the balcony so there'll be no way to get off, hopefully this will solve the issue of going out. Other than yesterday and one time he tried to climb out the window he's not attempted to 'leave home'. He's adapting to being an indoor cat well, considering he was a stray before he was rescued.