Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
18-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #1

Thought it couldn't get worse but.....

Abi (mother of the 5 kittens that died) isn't very well now.

She hasn't really been herself since the births and c-section last Saturday. She hasn't really been eating much, but she has been drinking fine.

Since the last kitten died though she seems to have gone downhill. She's eating even less and seems to have caught a cold too. We went to the vets on Thursday and she was given a painkiller shot and an antibiotic shot and synulox tablets to take twice a day thereafter.

Yesterday morning she seemed to have picked up a bit and was eating a small amount (I've been trying to feed her a/d - which she will eat small amounts of by licking it off my hand, she won't eat it from the bowl though) but then last night she seemed really sick again, very lethargic and sneezing a lot.

She sneezed a lot throughout the night (quite snotty sneezes) and was sick in the early hours of this morning which was just like phlegm or bile.

When I got up this morning I also noticed that she had been pulling fur out of her tail.

I called the vets as soon as they opened this morning and took her down. They ran some blood tests and the main things (FIV and FELV) came back negative. She has a low blood count though and high glucose. They have kept her in and put her on a drip to try and get her re-hydrated and they are also going to give her some antibiotics by IV.

I just feel so helpless again. I really want to do everything I can to help her. I don't know if cats get depression after losing their babies? but if this is the case, how can I help her feel better?

I know she's in the best place for her at the moment, but any advice would be great please.

thanks,
Charlie
x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
18-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #2

Re: Thought it couldn't get worse but.....

Oh Charlie I am so sorry to hear about Abi, perhaps when you get her home just spend some time with her making a fuss of her. Poor little girl

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
18-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #3

Oh I am so terribly sorry to hear this At least she is in the best place and they will do all they can for her. As Emma has said lots of love and cuddles when she comes home should help. Fingers crossed for her. Please let us know how she is later on x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #4

So sorry to hear this Charlie. I think Emmas right, maybe having lost her kittens she just needs an extra lot of loving. I hope she picks up soon! (((hugs)))

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #5

So sorry to hear Abi isn't so good Charlie ......... she is in the best place and they will do everything they can for her. Give her plenty of love and cuddles when she comes home ((((hugs))))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
18-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #6

I hope Abi turns the corner and comes home to you fit to enjoy her life properly.
Maybe Feliway to help her 'chill' and forget her trauma once she's home?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #7

So sorry to hear about Abi, hope she starts to recover soon...Thoughts and Hugs with you....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
18-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #8

((((((hugs)))))) to you and Abi x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
18-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #9

I hope Abi feels better soon. What a bad time you are both having ((hugs)).

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
18-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #10

Fingers crossed for her. Cats can get depressed, and a good tip is to give her a stuffed toy as a 'surrogate'. Plus the usual extra love, and try and keep her eating.