Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

08-12-2003, 04:55 PM   #1

Looking for an indoor cat

Hello,

I want to get my mother a cat/kitten and I know she really wants one that won't want to go outside. I know some breeds are happy with this, but I have no idea about buying cats pedigree or not. I'd really appreciate some starting advice. I could probably search around and find the breeds that will be right, or would I be OK with a non-pedigree kitten if it had the right sort of parents? I also have no idea where to find a cat apart from shelters and adverts, or how much I can expect to pay, and whether I should be getting health certificates etc.

Basically don't know much!

Many thanks for any advice
cheers
Dave

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
09-12-2003, 01:16 AM   #2

Re: Looking for an indoor cat

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum!

We have a Bengal cat who is an indoor cat - the only time she wants to go out is when she's calling! As far as I know any cat could be suited to an indoor life so long as it's all they have ever known (and are neutered) . Some breeds may prefer to stay indoors, I think the Persians are one such breed, but they have long hair so will need grooming quite regularly. It maybe an idea to find out what type of cats your mother likes and then ring a few breeders and ask them how suited they are to life indoors. But I think any cat would be fine so long as it's what it has always known

12-12-2003, 01:45 AM   #3

Yes a friend of mine used to have a Persian and it didn't like going out at all - very well suited to indoor life methinks!

Catsey Junior

20-12-2003, 04:40 PM   #4

I agree with Azz - as long as it's all that the cat has ever been used to, it should be fine.

Let us know which breed you decide on!

Tina

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #5

Hi

I have two british shorthaired's they don't go outside I tried the older one and she got into so much trouble and caused to so much stress and worry that I decided not to let her out anymore - hence the reason I now have a playmate for her - they are very happy living indoors they play together and I play with them as much as possible so they dont get bored - we have a large house so they have plently of room - but you should do a bit of research to see which breeds are best for indoors especially if your only getting one.

My mum has a persian indoor cat and have do require a LOT of upkeep you MUST groom them every day and if they dont like being groomed its very hard work just bear that in mind - but I am sure that there are plently of breeds that would be suitbale for your mum to keep insdie her home and that would be very happy!

Good luck

Abbi