Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
02-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #11

Re: to neuter or not

And if you have ever worked in a rescue centre, as I have, and seen first hand the scale of the problem with unwanted cats and dogs, you would understand. Let's be realistic, cats and dogs aren't going to die out any time soon! I have always neutered my cats, always will for lots of reasons. It is up to you what you do, but if you ask for opinions then there are going to be diverse answers, some you agree with some you don't, but we are all entitled to those opinions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
02-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #12

Well said Kim, am with you all the way on this issue.
To be honest, Niki has been around this forum a long time and has read many of the arguments about breeding, so I cannt help but think that her post was designed to incite yet another rather than an innocent question from a very "experienced" cat owner.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
02-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #13

my male indoor cat has been neutered, and any more in the future would be aswell. as said for the issue with spraying and it also has health benefits.
my cat hasnt really put on much weight at all, he is still within a healthy limit and aslong as you monitor feeding and he has plenty of stimulation to excersize in the house it shouldnt be an issue.
oh and i have no plans to let mines out either tho it hasn't stopped him bolting out the front door as soon as it was opened or jumping out the upstairs window...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
03-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #14

We've had a tom and neuters previously. I've always found the neuters have more time for us, toms can be pretty driven by their hormones, though ofc can still be loving cats too
Never seen much of a difference weight-wise, just treated them the same as any animal -fed them what they needed and kept them active. Can take a bit more work if their indoor but it's also tons of fun, no?
While I've got my own personal experience to base my decisions on, I've also done a lot of web research on the pros and cons of neutering, and now it just the only decision for me and my cats.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
03-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #15

Imagine if you were driven by hormones but were never given the chance to mate- I would imagine its pretty frustrating. Why put an animal through it, along with the spraying which makes your house stink.
All our cats are neutered and because they are fed sensibly they are not fat.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
09-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #16

Id already decided tonget nova neutered,before i asked the question,

was just wanting general opinions

he is getting dun on thr 17th

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #17

Which is what was given.

All the best for his big day, I'm sure it will all go well.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
02-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #18

Came to this thread a bit late. I have always had all my cats neutered, both male and female. The only one I didn't was my beautiful Mopsy who disappeared while in season while I was away for 3 months and my Mum looked after her. My Mum lives 3 miles from the nearest main road and 1/2 a mile from the nearest neighbour. I think Mopsy had gone looking for a tom and got taken by the fox.

As for 3kg being big, my biggest cat Fecto weighed 11kg at his heaviest. He isn't fat, just big. His front paws are each as big as 3 of my fingers side by side. He has lost weight over the last few months as he is nearly 12 and not processing his food as well as he used to. My smallest cat probably weighs around 3kg.

I would never have a cat without it being neutered, especially a tom. If they are neutered late they will still spray and it's very hard to stop it.

The reason I never got round to having Mopsy spayed was the young she cat that she went to the vets with died on the operating table. Peewee had had cat flu as a kitten that we didn't know about and it had destroyed her ling tissue. This meant she couldn't take the anaesthetic. The vet was so distraught he couldn't faced operating on any more cats so Mopsy never got done.