Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
23-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

I know I said no more.....

We are collecting another cat on Friday. I really don't want to but feel the poor thing is suffering, at least if what the owner has written is true.
The cat is about 50% overweight, has fleas and scabs on her back, I assume this is a flea allergy.
According to the owner the vet has told her to brush her, but I don't know if she has actually been treated, it sounds like she's had the fleas for a while.
I just couldn't leave her so collect her on Friday after visiting my mum in hospital.
I really, really shouldn't be doing this, we can't afford her and the cost of building new pens for the winter is going up and up, but this sounds like a potentially neglectful situation.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
24-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

Re: I know I said no more.....

Farthing you are a saint, and I really admire your patience. I despair at people's neglect, especially when you are left out of pocket for showing care and compassion. The owner should be made to pay towards the cat's recovery, they shouldn't be allowed to abandon all responsibility.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

I agree with PP - surely the neglectful owner should contribute towards the poor cat's care???

Catsey Veteran

24-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #4

The problem is, that if the owner isn't even willing to get flea treatment, they aren't usually willing to pay after the animal leaves their care. Apparently the cat has been vaccinated and neutered, so I can't understand why she has still got fleas. It sounds like a long term thing, unless the house is infested!
We get some people who set up direct debits, often families where we have taken in a parent's pet when the parent has died, but many seem to think they are doing you a favour and don't give a Penny.
Often I'm just glad to get the animal out of an uncaring situation and never actually expect a donation!

People still ask if I 'want' an animal, I now say I don't want any animal but if it's at risk, I'll help if I can!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #5

hope you manage to get the new cat sorted out and flea free.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #6

Meet Mee- Yu!
Not as bad as I thought but she is very overweight and has scabs and hair loss on her back, looks like a flea allergy. Haven't seen any fleas but have given advocate.
She was handed over at the door, a bit of blanket , a food bowl and her carrier, no donation and no litter tray. She seems to be a lovely, friendly and laid back girl.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

Poor Mee-Yu! You'll soon get her sorted and settled. She does look lovely, if obviously scared and I've a very soft heart for tabbies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
26-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #8

She looks lovely a really nice cat, maybe she is a little over sensitive to flea bites. How terrible to be thought so little of that she was handed over with so little.

But she is safe now so "GoGo Mee-Yu and a smashing name too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Maybe an older person died? Relatives dont want.

Shes in good hands now.

Some of our fosters say the same. One got handed 3 sachets of felix for a kitten. More often they say they have no money on them for a donation & will leave it up. & then never seen again. Some borrow carriers to take cat / kitten home & fosters never see carrier again either . Some people are unbelievable

Catsey Veteran

26-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #10

No, she was the girl's cat. After a bit of nosing on [Sys edit: Contains pet forums], she may well have another 2 cats. She has been with her new boyfriend for over a year, which means, if it's true, and the ex introduced the fleas via some rescue rats, then Mee-Yu has had fleas for over a year. I will never understand folk.
Anyway, We are going to change her name, Pebbles is the favourite, although Mike also wants to call her Mrs Tibbs, to go with Mr Tomsk!