Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Trouble with Milly and Rayne

After losing Bernie, things were fine between Milly and Rayne but not any more.
Am watching them both closely to try to make sense of the real problem or hopefully it will all settle down given time.
Milly has always been a bit of a ****** to Rayne, she's always done things like, should Rayne go into the kitchen for a drink, Milly will lie across the doorway, Rayne then whimpers as she cannt get past Milly or if she tried to get past, Milly would start swiping at her.
But now Rayne is fighting back, twice I have had to stop Rayne from taking her by the neck and several other times Rayne has snapped back at her.
Now to a degree, I know Rayne is just defending herself the only way she knows how but I worry about leaving them alone together....
Does any one have any suggestions as to how I can get them both to learn how to live in harmony?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

Re: Trouble with Milly and Rayne

How interesting this has happened since Bernie is no longer there - I presume he kept the balance between them somehow. I am afraid I have no idea Elaine, but hopefully someone else will have.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
22-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

Try some Feliway and a dap diffuser happy hormones for both and put a water bowl in another location to lessen the crossing of paths

I have Star NFC and my dogs will not cross any door he is in they just wait till I move Star - bearing in mind the size of Sky, Sunny and Mist!!!
Baby gates work for bigger dogs but Rayne will be able to get through them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

Blinking heck Elaine to be honest I have no advice or idea was as Angie has said how weird its come about since Bernie passed - something has changed in the makeup. Thing is you can chastise Rayne but seems that Milie is your problem although Millie is causing your problem she will come off worse in a punch up. So maybe look at a safe place for her to go too a baby gate or similar to another room.
Have to admit it is a bit concerning.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #5

Can you train Rayne to 'jump' over Milly in doorways? Thats what ours do or in most incidences step over them. Start off with any object across the doorway. Using a favourite treat & keeping Rayne at your side with command to 'wait' throw the treat over the object as far as you can. Let Rayne smell your hand & then 'send her off' with the command 'go find it'. First couple of times you might need to go with her to show her what you want. They learn very fast & its a game they love. Over days increase the height of the object across the doorway so she learns to jump higher, as they "jump" i always use the word. "Hup". In time as she goes to approach Milly over the doorway & you command "hup" or whatever word you use, she will jump over the cat & thus use 'avoidence' tactics

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #6

Thanks guys, I will try some of your suggestions.
Yes Kazz it is very concerning, it is Milly that starts it and I try not to shout for fear of heightening the situation but its hard when suddenly the dog has her mouth round the cats neck which can happen in a flash as I am sure you are all aware.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

eek! Not so good. Tbh I don't have any advice Elaine, it sounds very much like the way Ranger and Cooper are. Teddie and Broxi are fine with him, but Cooper has hated him from day one, and all we can really do is keep them apart as much as possible

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

I know this sounds weird but how about a water pistol, Rather than shout......spray em.?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #9

We are so lucky we just don't this type of problem although Ben does go up to the dogs and "nip" them for no reason and you can almost hear him snigger when they yelp, they never ever retaliate though, just look hurt

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
24-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

Having a similar problem in our house at the moment between Pandora and Pearla, Posh is sensibly staying out of the scraps, but these two are yowling, hissing and generally beating up on each other. It's since the stray has been hanging around.

It's hard when you have previously had a happy household but harder still when its between dogs and cats I guess. Milly just needs taking down a peg or too, Rayne, poor dear has to control her without totally losing it I wish they could talk and we could just sort them out!