Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #11

Re: Its Sunday - so lounge around

Just one thing about quarry tiles Kazz - I love them, but they can get very slippery when wet .... just a thought.

All I can add is airing cupboard, unless you have a nice one elsewhere and somewhere to hang clothes on hangers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #12

Gorgeous again this morning, 25 C (7 F). blue skies and will make the 30s for the next several days. We're on track for one of the warmest Summers ever recorded. Suits me! To Whole Foods, lovely rainbow trout for dinner tonight; just a lazy day with papers, crossword and Catsey.

I like the quarry tile idea, Kazz. PP, never heard that about not keeping the pram in the house until...! Hope you can get to the fete, Shelley; MrsH, good tip about the ironing board ... mine lives in the basement. All the dinners sound lovely.

Enjoy the day and the bank holiday tomorrow ... what is this one in honor of? I think you get more holidays than we do!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
29-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom

Enjoy the day and the bank holiday tomorrow ... what is this one in honor of? I think you get more holidays than we do!
To be honest it's a propos nothing at all! When I was young there was an August Bank Holiday on the 1st Monday of August, I think it probably stemmed from the days when the vast majority of the country's workforce in times past, had no right to paid holidays and the creation of Bank Holidays at least gave them some entitlement. (I could be entirely wrong of course, it wouldn't be the first time ) Why it was at that point in the calendar I have no idea

Then, at some point in the 1970/80's ish, it was moved to the end of August, I can't remember why and I'm not sure there was a very good reason maybe to extend the holiday season (?)

British (but remember Scottish ones are different!) Bank Holidays are rubbish actually, they don't really signify anything other than the desire for a few days when the whole country is on holiday. There are loads of significant dates when we could have Bank Holidays but don't, eg Trafalgar Day 21st Oct, Magna Carta 15th June etc. I think as a nation we lack cultural and historical awareness and pride.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
Having a very lazy day just toast for breakfast with some of this year's rhubarb and ginger jam, very yummy but just a bit firm, must have overdone the "setting point" slightly. Roast beef for lunch, will put the Yorkshire puddings in soon and treacle tart for dessert - ooooh! all those calories, diet starts tomorrow!

Kazz, when you're designing your utility room don't forget a really tall cupboard for your ironing board. It's the one thing I totally forgot when we had our kitchen first done and had to just prop it up against the wall for years (or hide it in the dining room )

PL exciting times now you've started ordering some of the big stuff for your baby how long to go now?

Enjoy the rest of this Day of Rest!

Excellent suggestion Thanks, will add that to my list. Going to try to make sure I use every inch - storage is a nightmare. So either having standard kitchen units but incorporting plinth drawers.....or having the units made. Trying to decide if I room if to incorporate a walk in larder/cupboard.

Catsey Veteran

29-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Been up since 8am today, was feeling full of energy so decided to go for a swim!
Have done some housework and laundry and taken Darcy out. I'm really hungry now though so will have to go and do a food shop so that I can have breakfast
Ordering our pram today as they have a discount on the one we want until tomorrow, it's the first 'big' thing we've bought so far
Congratulations on your first "big" purchase.

Catsey Veteran

29-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
To be honest it's a propos nothing at all! When I was young there was an August Bank Holiday on the 1st Monday of August, I think it probably stemmed from the days when the vast majority of the country's workforce in times past, had no right to paid holidays and the creation of Bank Holidays at least gave them some entitlement. (I could be entirely wrong of course, it wouldn't be the first time ) Why it was at that point in the calendar I have no idea

Then, at some point in the 1970/80's ish, it was moved to the end of August, I can't remember why and I'm not sure there was a very good reason maybe to extend the holiday season (?)

British (but remember Scottish ones are different!) Bank Holidays are rubbish actually, they don't really signify anything other than the desire for a few days when the whole country is on holiday. There are loads of significant dates when we could have Bank Holidays but don't, eg Trafalgar Day 21st Oct, Magna Carta 15th June etc. I think as a nation we lack cultural and historical awareness and pride.
I totally agree, and yet we have history coming out of our ears.
I think Remembrance Day should be a holiday, something similar to what the US have; veterans day. A day chosen to honour those who have fallen (services and none services) in protection of us all.

Catsey Veteran

29-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Just one thing about quarry tiles Kazz - I love them, but they can get very slippery when wet .... just a thought.

All I can add is airing cupboard, unless you have a nice one elsewhere and somewhere to hang clothes on hangers.
Interesting about quarry tiles will have to test the tiles out. Saw some nice ones today can see me getting "taken over by single sample tiles"

Have airing cupboard on the landing. Lovely and warm and Cleo's 2nd favourite place to take a nap.

Catsey Veteran

29-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #18

Had a lovely yet odd Sunday lunch, spaghetti, creamy tomato sauce with gammon steak. Odd but scrumptious.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #19

The question about Bank Holidays tempted me to Google (I do love the Internet for this sort of thing!) This really good junior school website explains it all very well IMO.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #20

That was very interesting, Angie. We get:

New Years Day
Martin Luther King's Day
Presidents Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas.

A pity we have two in cold gloomy February and none in June or August!

We don't get Easter Monday or Boxing Day