Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
27-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

problems with Marmaduke

right the little sod is now 10 months old and he is bigger than our old female BSH Chloe. He's always given her a bit of a hard time but I think he's getting worse, he doesn't attack her all the time, probalby at least once a day, but when he does its quite bad, loads of fir flying. But its really changed Chloes behaviour, she spends most of her time in the garden and when she does come in she hides under a little table. She won't go upstairs anymore or even sit on our knees. We've got a feliway diffuser and he does get a spray of water when he attacks her. He still hasn't been done as we want him to fill out a bit so have him booked in for October, but I think we might have to get him done sooner.

Anyone got any other suggestions to stop him attacking her?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #2

Re: problems with Marmaduke

I think the fact that he hasn't been neutered yet has a lot to do with it. Did your vet advise you not to get him booked in yet?

Catsey Senior

fancyabrew is Male
27-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

no the vet said he'll do him whenever we want, its been our choice. As he's a BSH we were waiting for him to fill out a little and get that typical BSH Tom round face. But I think we're going to have to get him done sooner.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
27-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #4

I would - I wouldn't have thought it would make much if any difference to his skeletal structure. Sounds as if there is too
much testosterone running amok.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #5

I'm inclined to agree with all, too much testosterone. As long as it's OK with the vet, I'd go for it.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #6

Another point to consider is the fact that Marmaduke is likely to start spraying around the house if he isn't neutered...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #7

Yes, I agree. I am learning there is a deal of difference between cats and dogs certainly as far as best age for neutering. I feel sorry for Chloe.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
28-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #8

It does sound like you may have to make that call sooner, I get where you are coming from with letting him develop a bit though. I was going to book lester in at 5 months and was advised by the vet to wait a while as he's a bsh too. He's 26 weeks on saturday and I think he will be getting neutered around mid august.

Catsey Senior

fancyabrew is Male
28-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #9

he still doesn't look that BSH Tom (nothing like his dad who has a really round face with big jowls) but he is 10 months

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
28-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #10

my vet told me lester won't get the jowls as he'll not have testosterone levels needed for it. He's starting to get the cheeks just now.