Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
09-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #11

Re: Why Would my Cat do This?

I thought about what you said, Hreow, and at a guess, I'd have to agree with the cats liking to go to the loo together. It could be instinctive for them.

I've read that cat's can be protective of their owners, and it's long been known that dogs can be too.

I know I've rushed home to get to the loo when the cat's been indoors. She could have gone to her litter tray at any time, but she rushes there, when I go to the loo. This has only happened a couple of times, but it did make me smile.

Angie. I also thought it was "communal middening" as you put it (I think that means a communal wash). This morning the cat drank some bathwater, then proceded to wash herself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
09-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #12

both my cats do similar to this, skye follows me when i go to the bathroom but pines if i fully shut the door. Harris has a tendancy to use his tray when either of us are in the bathroom, he also sits in OHs comfy trousers when he is in teh bathroom

Catsey Junior

09-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #13

It sounds like your cats love you and your OH. They must feel so safe being around you both. I say both, because I'm wondering if Harris feels content to sit with the scent of your OH's trousers.

My cat did her own thing this morning. I ran the bath, then went off to get some clothes together. The cat drank the bath water without me being in the bath, so it's back to guessing about her behaviour again. Or maybe not. We could guess forever.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
09-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys
Angie. I also thought it was "communal middening" as you put it (I think that means a communal wash). This morning the cat drank some bathwater, then proceded to wash herself.
"Middening" is usually a term used for when a cat doesn't cover their faeces. Cat's who are worried about their territory being invaded do this to more strongly mark that this is their turf. A cheeky cat might use uncovered poo to slowly gain a bigger territory.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #15

I tend to think that when Cloud drinks my bath water that it's curiosity as much as anything. Kind of wondering just why Mum would want to sit in anything as strange as a bath full of water. After all, she finds out all kinds of things about her territory by her sense of taste/smell, maybe she thinks that there is something in it which makes the water appealing to me?

She also loves to sit on whatever I'm using as a floor mat - sometimes a real bath mat thing, other times it's a folded towel. Doesn't seem to matter what I use, I'll regularly go searching to find her, and she's happily sitting on that!

Just cats for you!

(and yes, I get followed to the bathroom on occasion, especially if I've just got home after some time out. She doesn't go to the loo there - just not enough space for a litter tray. In fact, only rooms with enough space for such a thing are the living room and my bedroom. Therefore trays hidden in corners of the living room.)

Catsey Junior

09-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #16

Fancy 'middening' meaning a cat not covering it's poo, Hreow. My cat always covers her faeces, then covers the floor with litter from the tray too.

Does that mean I'm not a trespasser in her territory, if she's being so thorough about covering her poo? It does, doesn't it?

I suppose I should be proud.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
09-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys
Fancy 'middening' meaning a cat not covering it's poo, Hreow. My cat always covers her faeces, then covers the floor with litter from the tray too.

Does that mean I'm not a trespasser in her territory, if she's being so thorough about covering her poo? It does, doesn't it?

I suppose I should be proud.
Well, you might still be a predator. A happy-enough-in-itself cat covers its poo so it's not obvious to predators that there is a cat living in the area.
But I think that you are right and that you're a very welcome presence in her territory. ^_^

Catsey Junior

09-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #18

Cloud obviously loves you Squirrel. She may be curious about the bath water, but obviously feels happy with your scent on something or just to be near you.

As for where the litter trays are in the home; I don't think it matters. You reminded me of a time years ago, when my cat would like privacy to go to the loo. No, I'm not going to move the litter tray. Like you, I don't have a lot of room to do that in my place. Besides that, she's sort of gotten used to me now.