Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: a little one!
23-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Alleged "psychotic" cat!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and could really do with some advice re some allegations that are being made about my little Molly.

I dont even know where to start...Let me give you some background stuff about Molly just to tell you a bit about her and then Ill try and explain the saga!

Approx 14 months old, had her since a kitten.
She's what I call a kitten sized cat - very petite - big of a moggy.
shes grown up with a staffy as her "brother"
she's an excellent mouser - catches one a day I would say!
we're all currently living at my parents house (long story) who have 2 large cats who arent the most sociable and arent particularly nice to her - they're outdoors cats, shes more of an inside cat.

So, this morning my Mother says to me that Molly is psychotic, has aggression problems and needs hormone therapy! Apparently she scratched my fathers face this morning and he was doing "absolutely nothing to her". She was sat on the high chair in the kitchen (like a breakfast bar type) so how was his face so close to her that she could do this? I dont know!

She has been banging on for weeks that Molly is aggressive and growls and hisses and bites, etc....But i have never seen any of this! She has always been a bit of a different cat, in that she has quite a dog like personality - so cuddly and an absolute fuss lover - with me and my husband she has always been a total lap cat - quite a confident girl, will go up to new people, likes to be picked up, likes her belly rubbed and being held on her back rather (like a baby).

Now my 11 year old sister is also living at the house and I know she massively exaggerates things that happen - and of course parents believe her. She can be very in your face with the cats (including molly) and wont leave them alone when I think its appropriate - i.e when you can see that cat start not wanting the fuss anymore. Molly has a fair amount of run ins with the other cats - shes sort of the dominant one in the house, but outside the house they do chase after her and it has got a bit hairy a couple of times. Typical cats - lots of noise. So i personally think she might be on edge a bit more or if she saw one of the cats this morning it might have upset her a bit.

After I heard about this, I picked her up and as normal she goes all jelly like and starts purring like mad. No sign of being worried or anything. She slept in my neck all night!

I've run it past my friend who is a vet and has said she highly doubts its related to being spayed (this was done months ago which my mother reckons its to do with) and you wouldnt give hormones for behavioural type issues -all makes sense to me! But explained all of that to my mum who is acting like I have to find a vet who agrees with her personal diagnosis and opinion!

My opinion is that she has perhaps developed an intolerance to being stroked by certain people or in certain places...that seems more logical to me. As I say I have not seen any of these problems myself.

Sorry If I have totally rambled, its so hard to explain....if anyone has any questions that might give more info please ask away! Please help!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
23-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #2

Re: Alleged "psychotic" cat!

Do your family leave Molly alne when she doesn't want attention? Does she have a place she can retreat to if she feels she needs to?

Cats owned: a little one!
24-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

She has our bedroom, which the other 2 cats have never been in and arent allowed in and another big room that they just dont go in. Fortunately they dont come across each other very often because the 2 boys are very much outdoor cats and just about live outside.

Mother and father - yes. Sister - I do have to remind to leave her alone when I can see Molly having enough of the attention.

I was looking at the Feliway website and was thinking of trying their diffuser hoping that will help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Hi, and welcome to the site

Sorry to hear of the problems poor Molly is having. I think a feliway would be a good start and also perhaps give her a good check over to make sure there aren't any sore spots that may have been missed ie scratches from fighs outside etc. I know my cat Cooper hates having his legs stroked and will swipe out at anyone foolish enough to try, so it could well be she has been fed up of too much handling.
Hope you find something to help soon

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
04-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

I think your Molly's issue is that she is in a home that isn't truly hers. Everything about it is different to the place she was in; the people; their scents; even the house heirarchy.

You're familiar to her and she'll feel safe with you. That doesn't mean she's psychotic when you aren't there, but cats do love what they've always known.