Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Advice Needed

Hi fellow Catsey lovers

I have an unusual problem and was hoping for some help. My two cats George and Milly are both nearly 5 years old and I have had them since they were kittens. They play together, snuggle up to sleep together and apart from the occasional swipe of the paw are the best of friends.

They are indoor cats and only allowed out in the garden when supervised. Two nights ago I was in the garden reading. I heard a major cat fight and looked up fully expecting to see a strange cat had got in the garden and my two were after it. I was so surprised to see it was my two fighting each other and I really mean fighting, hissing and growling. It was hard to separate them. They both ran inside the house and continued. For the rest of the night George was growling and hissing at Milly and we ended up letting them sleep separately. Things have settled down quite a bit, but George is still hissing at Milly if she comes too near too quickly (Milly was the one doing most of the fighting)

Does anyone know why they would suddenly turn on each other? This happened again tonight when I let them both into the garden and I just wondered if anyone knew enough about car behaviour to help. Thanks all and any cats who reading this who would like to tell their owners so they can pass it on to me, that would be greatly appreciated. Am Sorry for the long post

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #2

Re: Advice Needed

That is weird! The only thing I can think of is that perhaps a stray tom had gotten in the garden and marked; if George was really upset, stressed and angered by that he might have turned on Milly in misdirected aggression. And, being suddenly attacked, she would defend herself, violently if necessary. No doubt they both are still quite upset; perhaps you might want to get a Feliway plug-in to calm them and restore harmony....

I wonder if anyone else has a differing, better theory....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
10-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

I'm with you dandysmom. Misdirected agression and Feliway would be my theory and suggested help as well.
And having a look and smell of the garden to check for stray cats and turf-marking.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #4

I can't come up with any better explanation - you might also try a few drops of Rescue Remedy in their water. Hope all quietens down again very soon.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
10-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

Thanks so much! I did wonder myself if it was some other cat scent that had started it off. It makes sense. They've been out lots of times and I've never had a problem, but perhaps there is a new cat around. I'm not sure which of my two started fighting first but Milly definitely was the most aggressive and I think that it shook George up (he's really a big softie and he was definitely scared). I'm glad to say that they both appear to be friends again and have been snuggled up as usual. Hope to have some new pics to put up soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #6

Oh, look forward to the pics - love snuggly cats!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #7

Good news, glad they've settled again. Yes. pics, please, we do love pics!