Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: DSH,Norwegian Forest Cats,Mainecoon
25-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #1

Hello, Help!

I have two cats who, while they're not killing each other, aren't the best of friends, either. The biggest issue that I'm having right now is that the newer addition to the family is using the litter box of the older cat, and when the older cat needs to go, she's going in the floor. I can keep the newer cat out of it during the day, but overnight when I'm asleep is when this is occurring. Can anyone advise anything that I can try?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
25-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #2

Re: Hello, Help!

Have you tried adding an additional tray for them? I recently got a new addition to my family but we got her a new tray and showed her it when she came round. She sticks to her own trays now and doesnt bother with my boys tray

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
25-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

We have a couple cats that only tolerate each other.
And it is possible for this situation to get better.

It seems like your older cat hasn't quite gotten used to the new ones smell. Cats are really picky about new cats smells in their litterbox, especially if they don't necessarily like the other cat.

It may take time, but try buying a new litterbox for the newest addition & putting it somewhere that is further away from the older cat litterbox. Then show the newest cat the new box, and see if that works. Then hopefully the older one will continue to go in her litterbox & the newer one in the other litterbox.

And if that still doesn't work, you could try putting the older cat box & the new box together too. So if the newer one goes in there, the older one can still go too.
Just keep trying! Something should work, just have to find what that is.

They may get used to each others scents enough to just go in the same box eventually, once the new smell becomes normal to your older cat.

Its just nice to give a cat different bathroom choices.

Hopefully you find something that works Take Care

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Rescue centre - currently LOTS
25-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

We tend to advise one litter tray per cat plus one extra one
Jan

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #5

Some cats will share a box, some won't. I'd definitely go for one apiece, and in different locations. Also, some cats have a very strict definition of what "clean" is, and your girl might have considered a second deposit as making it a dirty box and thus unusable.

25-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #6

No, I've got two of the Booda covered boxes in 2 different locations, I think it may be more of a power struggle going on. I think you have a point on the deposits, though. The litter boxes are both the same, and I wonder if maybe I need to get some spray paint and paint one and see if that works. Thank you for responding.

25-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #7

I didn't think about the smell, that's a good point! I've got 2 litter boxes, but I think I need to paint one a different color, since both of them are exactly the same. Thank you for responding!

25-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #8

I'm going to try your suggestion; I had moved the older one's litter box into a different room, and that was a disaster! But putting another one just might do the trick! Thank you for responding!