Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Half Ragdoll
18-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #1

My friends Kitten keeps peeing on the bed!!!

Hi,

My friend just bought home a new kitten on Saturday and she's 12 weeks old, she has settled in really well and uses her litter box no problem, however last night and this morning she has pee'd on the beds. Can anyone give any advise to help her stop doing this?

My only thought would be to keep encouraging the kitten by putting her in the litter box?!

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
18-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Re: My friends Kitten keeps peeing on the bed!!!

(Assuming that the box is properly clean and that she's using the same litter as before.)
If she has used the box and then suddenly decides not to... Is the box in a quiet corner where she can use it in peace? I'm wondering if something has scared her when she was using it last.
If nothing has changed recently, I think I would be inclined to take the cat to the vets to have it checked out - could be a medical problem.

Oh and make sure your friend cleans the bed with the usual non-ammonia, cat-detectable-pee-scent removing stuff - good advice on this elsewhere in the forum.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
18-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

How often does your friend change the litter? Our little girl insists the litter is changed daily otherwise she will use the floor. Just a thought!

Oh is the litter tray upstairs & downstairs ?

With good advice from here i wash litter trays with detergent (Tesco's non-bio ) & disinfectant. Then dry it off with kitchen roll & spray a cat spray to kill off bacteria etc in litter trays, you leave it few mins & wipe off.

In meantime think i would keep bedroom doors closed Unless its happening when folk are in bedroom with the kitten. In which case i would try additional litter trays & daily litter change.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
18-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Tiger is the same. The boys aren't bothered but Tiger insist it is clean and smell free every day.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
18-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #5

It's definitely a "girl" thing. Milly insists on a clean tray. George, however is not as fussy lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
18-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #6

my 2 are the opposite. If Harris doesnt have a clean tray, he pees on the bath or toilet mat whereas Skye will use her tray whenever but she does like to go as soon as i clean them!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
18-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #7

Denis has one with a hood on and filter in...hes a very private boy you know!!
He also will only use the wood chippings!!!

I use those litter liners make it easy to wrap everything up in them and throw it all away also keeps tray nice and clean so only needs washing with fairy and lots of rinsing.

Cats owned: Half Ragdoll
19-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #8

OK great, thanks for the advise everyone. I mentioned about how often has the tray been cleaned and apparently she hadnt changed the litter since Saturday, so she changed it last night and this morning there have been no problems at all ). I think this must be the answer!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

That was the kitten's only way to let her know the box was awful! Glad it's been sorted now!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
19-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
Denis has one with a hood on and filter in...hes a very private boy you know!!
He also will only use the wood chippings!!!

I use those litter liners make it easy to wrap everything up in them and throw it all away also keeps tray nice and clean so only needs washing with fairy and lots of rinsing.
We use hooded trays too, makes life sooo much easier

Unfortunately both ours are very enthusiastic scrappers & liners get ripped. Tim even comes half out & scrapes the swing door -