Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #1

Unfriendly visitor

Friday night when I let the dogs out noticed a black cat on top of the kitchen roof, thought it was one of the neighbours cats - black girl who does not like other cats. When it came over I realised it was too far too big to be her and was infact a black tom cat, seemed friendly enough.

This morning after feeding the little ones and letting the dogs out to do their biz in the garden, I opened up the cat flap and calling the dogs in proceeded to make their food up.

About an hour later I noticed that both Tim + Amber had come indoors, thought it a bit strange but it was a hot day, they were lying on the cool tile floor. This went on all morning until mid afternoon when I went outside with the dogs to check on the seedlings I had planted the day before. WhenT + A saw the dogs and me outside, they ran out into their run and as they did so I heard this low growling. The black tom cat from the previous night was on top of the shed next door which overlooks the cat run and everytime one of our cats moved, he was growling at them!

Any ideas folks on how to deal with this?

When I came in I left the dogs outside for a while although obviously with their being White we dont leave them outside for long in strong sunlight. I thought the presence of the dogs might deter the black Tom and right enough when I called the dogs indoors, there was no sign of the cat. Im a bit concerned that he will make a habit of anti-social visits

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #2

Re: Unfriendly visitor

Hmmm. Is the unfriendly black tom within squirting range with a water pistol? Won't hurt and might discourage his visits, especially as the dogs can't stay out too long in the sunshine to deter him..... just a thought.

Catsey Veteran

24-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #3

Good idea Eileen. I bought a new plant water spray about a month ago & when on the squirt as opposed to the spray, it does go a good wee distance ( didnt realise it was adjustable at first & when experimenting with it, the jet of water whooshed out right across the room) Willl try it if he comes back. Im hoping the dogs will put him off.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #4

I thought water spray too ............ really the only non-harmful deterrent. What a nuisance after all the trouble you've taken to make a nice outdoor place for Tim and Amber. Hope the unwanted visitor isn't spraying the area.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
24-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #5

Yes, water jet is good idea. Also is it possible to make the roof area he is sitting on uncomfortable for him? Cover it with orange peelings, or pepper or that cat deterrant you can buy for gardens etc?

Catsey Veteran

25-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Yes, water jet is good idea. Also is it possible to make the roof area he is sitting on uncomfortable for him? Cover it with orange peelings, or pepper or that cat deterrant you can buy for gardens etc?
Cant get at it, theres not enough space for me to get between the cat run & the fence & dont think next door would like it. Good ideas. I could run it past kate (neighbour) when see her.

He hasnt been back to the roof since however when Rick came for his feed today, i had just put his food out, gone back in to put washingbmachine on, came back to conservatory & saw Rick crouching on steps up into garden - then heard growling. Black cat was eating Ricks food & warning him off. I clapped my hands & both ran off! Ricks been back since. He never leaves a crumb so its not food sitting about that is enticing this black boy. Actually im glad ours have the run as i think he could be quite mean.

Guy on other side used to have a black cat but he never let it in as he said one of his children was allergic to
It. Out in all weathers crying pathetically. (dum de dum - liked our conservatory but of course i never saw it come in says she tongue in cheek) Took sore eyes & he did nothing -
didnt know as he never let it in so i went & told him he needed to take it to the vet, which he did. Sure he thought i was interferring busy body!! Then it just disappeared & that was about 18 months ago. Im just wondering is it his cat back all grown up/matured.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #7

Possible, but no way to tell. He does sound like an unfriendly cat .......

Catsey Veteran

25-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Possible, but no way to tell. He does sound like an unfriendly cat .......
I dont think he cares much for other cats Eileen, Rick is so laid back, its not like him to get defensive, yes he has tapped our dogs on the nose but then again he lives with dogs so probably used to doing that

Ive got the water bottle handy and outside it does have a good distance. It will hit the shed roof. He was not there today but then it was cooler today and overcast so the dogs were able to get outside for longer periods in the garden