Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 3 domestic shorthair
01-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #11

Re: is it fair???

I have 3 cats and 2 litter trays and ,as long as the litter trays are cleaned out every morning and evening ,there should NOT be a smell.
Anyway isnt this YOUR cat,not your dads-so its your decision

You dont seem to understand -
as I said in a previous post-this cat could be quite happy and SAFE as an indoor cat,if you want to risk her being injured or killed on the road,disappearing and never being found,being at the mercy of the many people who would do her harm,being scared by any number of things,then thats up to you.
I know what I would choose.

If this is all to do with 2 cats and 2 litter trays I dont see that you have a problem-as long as you are prepared to keep them clean,which is part of what it entails when you become that cats owner.
Please think carefully as it will be too late to change your mind if anything happens to your cat
from Maureen

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
01-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #12

You need to have a good think about the pros & cons of allowing outdoor access for this particular cat in your particular circumstances.

There are no hard & fast rules ~ some cats are very happy with an indoor lifestyle, others would spend all their time trying to escape. So the first consideration should be what does the cat want/need vs what you can safely provid for that cat.

If the main consideration is the fact that you have to have 2 litter trays, then IMO, this is purely a consideration for your own (or your father's) convenience, & not anything to do with what the cat wants or needs. Personally I think if you have one tray that is cleaned twice a day or more, then having a 2nd tray is not a big deal ~ especially if you consider the alternatives, e.g. toiletting somewhere other than the litter tray

And remember, if the cats are used to using a litter tray, just because they have outdoor access doesn't mean that they will start toiletting outside. Many cats, especially timid, fearful cats, would be very reluctant to announce their presence to other neighbourhood cats by toiletting outdoors.

If your cat is showing a desire to go outside & it is safe for her to go out, then personally I would let her. Female cats don't necessarily need huge territories so she may well be content staying in the confines of your garden. And you could always go out with her & let her explore, get her to follow you around the garden, do lots of recall training in the garden as you've been doing in the house.

Alternatively what about building a large outdoor run in the garden? It needn't be very expensive if made out of a wood frame & chicken wire & you could put large tree branches & other environmentally enriching things in it.

However if your cat is content being indoors or it's not safe for her to go out, then perhaps keeping her in would be the best way.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #13

Hasnt Got A Garden.as I Said In The Beginning,just The Back Door A Path And A Hedge,b4 The Road

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
04-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #14

I remember a vet saying that a cat that is born to be an indoor cat, is happy to be that. I assume the opposite is happy for a cat that has been outside before.

Should you let a cat outside, with all the dangers it entails? Well, I'd let the cat decide if it wants to go out or not, personally.