Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
02-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #1

Broxi's been hospitalised!!

I noticed tonight that Broxi was going to the litter tray and nothing was happening! He was also squatting outside the tray with no results. Pressing his tummy his bladder was very full and he was growling at me Phone the vets he was neutered at and the vet said it was an emergency as he sounded like it was a blocked urethra rather than cystitis as he wasn't passing anything at all. Upshot is, I had to drive 20 miles to the out of hours vets, he is being anaesthetised as we speak to have his bladder drained and then he'll be catherterised for 2 days and kept in a further 24 hours to make sure he can urinate on his own, then special diet after that. Cost to me?? £200+!!

After all the problems with Teddie I started an emergency fund, didn't want to go through that again. Guess what we used to go to Scotland with?? I was lucky I had £50 left in it that the vet took as a down payment and I've to pay the rest up! I'm a nervous wreck waiting on the vet to phone me now to let me know he has come round from the anaesthetic ok!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #2

Re: Broxi's been hospitalised!!

Thank God you noticed it in time, Alex, blockage can be deadly in a male! Poor Broxi...and poor you, you must be so upset waiting to hear from the vet. I'm sure he'll be fine as it was caught in plenty of time...one damn thing after another, isn't it? Teddie's doing better, and now this! Sending good vibes to Broxi and (((hugs))) to you!

Catsey Veteran

02-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #3

Thanks Eileen! Yeah, I am kind of thinking what have I done to deserve this?? The vet is quite optimistic about his recovery as it has been caught early, but I just sat and cried earlier with worry and feeling sorry for myself. Looks like I may be on here for a while tonight trying to keep busy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #4

My Siamese, Su-Ling had one bout of cystitis when he was about 4...rushed him to the vet; he did have to stay overnight, but he passed the stone that was blocking his uretha on his own; didn't have to be catheterized or have anaesthesia. And he never ever had another episode of it; lived to be 14! So Broxi may be just fine, which I'm certainly praying for! xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #5

Poor Broxi - good job you got him to the vets when you did.
The hardest bit is the waiting.... the vets will call you soon.

{{hugs}}

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
02-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #6

I hope everything goes ok for Broxi..

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
02-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #7

I hope Broxi is ok. Keep us updated. xx

Catsey Veteran

02-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #8

Vet has just called. He is recovering from the anaesthetic now. His urethra unblocked relatively easily so good news that it was caught quickly. he has the catheter in now and a collar on to stop him getting at it, poor baby! She's going to call me around 9am to let me know how he did during the night, and with a sigh of relief I think I'll be off to bed soon. Thanks everyone x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #9

That's great news.

Make sure you get on Catsey & 9.01am and update us.

Try not to worry - he will be fine now.

Catsey Veteran

02-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #10

lol Smudgley!! I'll be on as soon as she phones! I don't know about the not worrying part though. I'll not relax until my baby is home.