Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
28-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #1

Rags is not well

Its been very stressful here the past week, last Sunday Rags stopped eating and was sick that night, by the next morning he had diarrhea with blood in it.
So cooked him up some chicken and he wouldn't eat anything at all, the diarrhea continued- Wednesday we took him to the vet who said he had gastroenteritis & said he was fairly dehydrated (I hadn't seen him eat or drink anything since Sunday) so we agreed it was best to put him on a drip over night to rehydrate him .
Also the vet pointed out that Rags needed some teeth removed , they looked really bad and the vet said they could do it on Friday.
So after being on a drip over Wednesday night he looked much better and ate a few bites of food while at the vets, we took him home rather than pay for another night in the vets, he was very grumpy that night as they left the IV needle in his leg and bandaged it all up really for his teeth removal operation Friday morning.
I was a bit nervous of him having an operation in the same week as being sick but the vet said it would be ok and asked a few times if it was safe, the pre op. blood tests came back fine so we went ahead with it and he came through it fine.
Nice bill of £301 for the operation and being on a drip for 1 night.
Then we got him home and he was very happy, all dosed up on painkillers and purring, even ate a fair amount that night so we thought it was the start of his recovery.
Saturday morning he was looking unwell again and starts sneezing, by that night its obvious hes picked up a cold - its just got worse since then, now hes feeling bad again, snotty nose and runny eyes - poor baby.
I'm sure he will recover, also worried that my other cats are going to get this cold now.

But I got thinking about it this morning and I'm sure Rags picked up this cold from the vets surgery, since other than visits to the vets he hasn't been outside since Sunday last week, So I've spent £301 at the vet and although his tummy is a little better hes still worse off than if I hadn't taken him at all (excluding the teeth op. that needed to be done anyway and was half the bill ).
This isn't the first time this has happened, about 5- 6 years ago another of my cats broke a tooth and went in to have it removed and when we brought her back she came down with cat flu, which in turn infected all 5 of my cats and they were very sick for 2 weeks.
If they had a cat in there with a cold/flu surely it is their responsibility to make sure it doesn't spread to other cats!
So I'm thinking of making a complaint, but just wondering if I'm over reacting really ... would you complain?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #2

Re: Rags is not well

I'm sorry to hear Rags has been so unwell this last week or so Sam and how unfortunate that he appears to have picked up a cold so soon after treatment...
As his system has been so low, it would have been easy for him to pick up a cold from anywhere ....has he been outdoors at all since coming home? I think I would ring the vet and explain what he is like....

Please keep us updated on Rags condition..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
28-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #3

Hope he is well again soon.

It wont hurt to air your feelings, in all probability they will deny it, and of course a Cat under the weather like anything will be more suseptible to infection, the Vets is always the best place to go home with more than you went in with!

Its worth mentioning though, I would, you never know they may reduce the cost of his treatment.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #4

Oh I am so sorry to hear that Rags is unwell I do hope hope he picks up soon. I agree that it would be worth airing your views with the vets.

Catsey Junior

28-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #5

He has to go back this week for a check up on his teeth so I will say something then I think, just feel a bit ripped off taking in a sick cat and getting him back with a new illness!
He has been indoors the whole time other than yesterday he laid in the sun with his brother for half and hour.
Rags spends most of his days asleep on my lap (I work from home) and sleeps next to me at night so we are pretty close and he just keeps sneezing and looking up at me with sad eyes, I think I'm feeling a bit over protective!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
28-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #6

Sending ((((((hugs)))))) for you both x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
28-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #7

Sorry he's so unwell. Hoe he is feeling better soon. XXX
I would air my views as they may not be aware that this cold has been passed on and with a very unwell cat this could be life or death!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
28-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #8

sending ((((((hugs)))))) for you both and hope she is well soon

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #9

Sorry to hear that he's been unwell and I agree with the others about mentioning it to the vet.
Must be a bit like human hospital - one of the unhealthiest places!

Catsey Junior

29-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #10

Well Rags still has a blocked nose/ sneezes and runny eyes, it gets worse at night and hes being treated to a steamy bathroom a few times a day.
He is still eating and drinking so thats good.
I also have a cold at the moment and have an annoying tickly cough, so between me coughing and Rags sneezing all night we seem to be keeping each other (and b/f) awake all night!
To top it all off today Tango has started sneezing too, he could do without a cold he has Feline Triad disease (info on FTD - http://www.pvy.com/pcl/articles/c100014/q10000276.htm ) So Tango is pretty skinny and is sick every 2-3 months at the moment, but it had been improving recently, hopefully he doesn't get as sick as Rags has been, fingers crossed!
Oh and the exhaust on my car fell off today too, just what I need!