Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #1

Death of Diana + 9 years

There was a radio programme a few days ago talking of collective memory - the sort of 'what were you doing when you heard of ....' thing, where everyone remembers an event.
So, how do you rememeber hearing?
I remember very clearly, as my OH was taking up his new job on 1 September. He was to pick up his sparkling new company car at a weekend get together for new staff in the Midlands - and he had a rugby match at Stafford on the Saturday. So, we both went to Stafford in the family car, I overnighted with him at the company place and was due to drive the family car home in the morning, whilst he followed in the company car after the day's events.
Didn't sleep too well, as ever when away, woke at ?6ish, turned on the radio to hear unfamiliar voices (was it a Dimbleby - maybe?) doing an obituary. Listened more, realised who they were talking about and, must admit, my first thought was that she had committed suicide. The news came out as I listened, and of course filled the radio waves as I drove home.

So, that's my memory. What about you? And what were your first thoughts?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
03-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #2

Re: Death of Diana + 9 years

me and my boyfriend were on our way back from the pub - as the taxi drove up to my house a news flash came on the radio that Dodi was dead and Diana was seriously injured - we all just sat there in complete shock - then went into the house and it wasn't until the next day that more details came out and that I learned she had died. I worked in a supermarket then and it was a very sombre mood - very strange but I will definately not forget it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
03-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #3

I was watching something on TV, and then the newsflash came...... incredibly sad.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #4

Hubby (early riser) came up to the bedroom, woke me and told me. We were due to go to a company day out, BMW racing driving at Silverstone. This was cancelled when we got there so we ended up going shopping to Bicester Village instead.

I have to admit to being not very affected by the news initially as I'm not much of a royal watcher/follower - sure I felt a sadness but not any kind of overwhelming grief. But over the days that followed I was in London on business a lot and witnessed the huge surge of emotion which was one of the most touching things I've ever seen. It's a shame the country's kind of a bit embarassed about it now.

I cried buckets when watching her funeral on TV

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #5

I was in bed watching the late news when a special bulletin came on...was shocked and stunned, Sadness...that fairytale wedding, two beutiful boys, and then all the marital unhappiness...choaked me up a bit. Can't believe it was 9 years ago...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #6

I was in bed I'd been on nights for a week and vaguely recall waking up and seeing on the telly (which I'd left on, which I never normally do) something about Diana then dropping back off to sleep - but been woken shortly after by the phone ringing people phoning to see if I knew. Odd and I must also be the only person who hasn't seen the funeral.

If you recall everywhere was shut and I and Janet went into work to cash up and do banking etc (we were closed till midday(ish) neither of us wanted to watch, Janet had ust lost her sister in a car crash a year before so too raw for her hence while she volunteered to work. I had to go in as key holder. I have seen snatches but couldn't face watching the whole thing. My parents said not since the funeral of Winston Churchill had they seent he streets stand still.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #7

I remember that my daughter came into our room and told us she had just seen it on the news. So incredibly sad. We usually listen to classic fm and all that day and for the next few days they stopped usual programmes and played mournful music. I also cried watching her funeral. I am not particularly a royalist either, but her death did affect me, she was just a few months older than me too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
04-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #8

I remember waking up about 5ish and hearing it on thee radio. I remember my radio was laways set to Radio 1 but all I was geting was classical music and thought that someone had been changing the channels on the radio. I kept listening and then i heared the news about Diana.

I was in work the day of the funeral but my boss brought a telly intot hte office so we all sat round the telly in the warehouse watching the funeral