Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #11

Re: Thinking about doing an 'odd' side project

I'm really for anything that helps educate people Az - I have probably a naive thought that loads of people only need to be told about something to change their attitude towards animals and give them more respect and a better chance of a happy life.

I hope that the new site will help with the "neuter/spay" message?

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
25-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I'm really for anything that helps educate people Az - I have probably a naive thought that loads of people only need to be told about something to change their attitude towards animals and give them more respect and a better chance of a happy life.

I hope that the new site will help with the "neuter/spay" message?
Yeah great idea Angie! I think we should probably start a thread to start collecting our thoughts on what advice we think we need to get up on it.

We can then think about what we put up first, as we'll want to start subtle and work our way up.

Perhaps closer the time we can create a section dedicated to it... as I don't think one thread will be enough

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #13

I've always thought you were completely bonkers.

I understand where you are coming from with this idea but I do worry that it will end up being just another free site to advertise animals on and that the ethics you talk of will come to nothing.

Admin Team

Az is Male
25-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I've always thought you were completely bonkers.
Lol gee thanks Elaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I understand where you are coming from with this idea but I do worry that it will end up being just another free site to advertise animals on and that the ethics you talk of will come to nothing.
Thanks, I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from

We will indeed have to sleep with the enemy, but with the end goal in mind - that we'll actually have a voice on such sites, which are, for many (too many?) would-be pet owners' first port of call.

I'd love to wave a magic wand and have everyone think more about pet ownership and how they purchase those pets - but that's just not happening (or not happening fast enough). So what better than to infiltrate something that's deeply embedded, and be more diligent in how we shape change.

I don't think anyone else has tried to tackle the problem in this manner before - which is scary, but also gives us some hope?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #15

I have to admit to being 50:50 on this one. I fully agree it is essential we try and get an inroad to educate. I also worry that by doing that we create another opportunity for unethical/uneducated breeders to advertise.

I would hope that if we can have the 'so you think you want a kitten' messages posted in such a way that that they are educating, friendly and helpful that some people will take the advice on board.

I suppose if you sit and do nothing then how do we expect the situation to improve. Even if we can stop a small number of people breeding, not speying, or buying from the 'wrong' type of breeder it will be of benefit to each potential litter of kittens.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #16

Yes, it's a bit of a tightrope isn't it?

What sort of checks and balances are you thinking about Az?

Admin Team

Az is Male
26-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
I have to admit to being 50:50 on this one. I fully agree it is essential we try and get an inroad to educate. I also worry that by doing that we create another opportunity for unethical/uneducated breeders to advertise.

I would hope that if we can have the 'so you think you want a kitten' messages posted in such a way that that they are educating, friendly and helpful that some people will take the advice on board.

I suppose if you sit and do nothing then how do we expect the situation to improve. Even if we can stop a small number of people breeding, not speying, or buying from the 'wrong' type of breeder it will be of benefit to each potential litter of kittens.
Are you a mind-reader? I had all of those thoughts too

I was worried about the 'why should we give them a free platform' point too - but then I searched 'kittens for sale' and there are a million and one sites where they can already do this.

So we won't be creating the problem, just taking it on _but_ with the intention of trying to fix it (albeit slowly if necessary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Precisely my thoughts too

Quote:
Yes, it's a bit of a tightrope isn't it?
Sure is but as Calismum said, we've got to tackle the bull by the horns, and I don't think anyone's tried to do it this way before - which is kinda scary, but gives us hope too?

Quote:
What sort of checks and balances are you thinking about Az?
We're actually not going to concentrate on the 'sellers' at this stage - to begin with we want to get our message to prospective pet owners, _before_ they get a kitten.

Later, we'll share information and stats with the RSPCA etc, and perhaps use it for campaigning/legislation etc

Can you tell I've thought long and hard about this? I've got my crafty head on