Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Raggie X boy
19-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

New Kitten!

I am going to have my first kitten in 13 days; a 6 week old red tabby Ragdoll cross (his mother is a Ragdoll that escaped form the house). He is so gorgeous. I have a few questions:

I know wet food is more palatable and prevents urine blockages but dry stops dental problems; well, if I get him used to teeth brushing by doing it even when he doesn't need it as a kitten, will he be okay having wet pouches all his life?

He is half Ragdoll and appears cuddly but active; will I be able to let him out when he's older (our house is so he couldn't get out the front, so he's only be in the garden)? I know Ragdolls lack instinct but he is half ginger tom.

What toothpaste do I give him? Dog toothpaste?

I want something warm when I get him as well as a cosy bed, but don't have a microwave so can't use pet hot water bottles, so could I give him a covered, wrapped proper human one? Or are there any links to pet ones that you fill with water?

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #2

Re: New Kitten!

Hi Pickalilly - a new kitten, how absolutely wonderful, you must be counting the days ..... I would be!

I don't know if Ragdolls have any specific requirements that are different from my dear moggies, but will say what I know re moggies anyway ....

I personally would not use a human hot water bottle, just for safety's safe really - although I know you'd only put lukewarm water in it and I expect it would be safe. I would use an old jumper/fleece for him to cuddle into, unless you house is very cold or the temperature drops radically between now and then. I would get a cuddly toy for him to cuddle too. I appreciate that the things that I would use that get microwaved are no good to you.

Re food - I would feed him whatever he's been fed on before you collect him - at least to start with and then if you want to, make any changes gradually. I had a discussion with my vet when my Pip had his annual check last week and the vet said that diet is not the only consideration when it comes to dental health - a good part is genetic, so I would in preference go for a mixed diet - wet x 3 per day to start and biscuits for "grazing" in between. Always provide clean water.

I would not even consider allowing him out until he's had his two sets of vaccinations and actually I wouldn't want a kitten of mine to go out at all (unless on a harness and lead) until he/she had been spayed or neutered.

Hope that helps a little. I am really looking forward to kitten pictures!!! Good luck with the little poppet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #3

Re: New Kitten!

Hi and welcome! Angie's summed it up nicely! As to teeth, don''t use human toothpaste, there are pastes and brushes made just for cats. You might be able to get them from your vet, but they would probably be much cheaper on line. You could also add Dentagen to his water, and Plaque off dusted atop the food to prevent teeth problems if you decide not to go the brush route.

I do mostly wet with just a sprinkling of dry food; as many cats don't drink enough water; too much dry food can lead to cystitis problems, very serious in the male.

Yes! to harness training! And I'm looking forward to pics too!