Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #101

Re: Book Club

Night, CM. sleep well!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
24-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #102

I think the book club questions from the book is an excellent idea. I haven't got them in my edition but I have seen them before (In the Rebus book, Exit Music) and thought it a really good idea.)
I wonder if everyone is ready to go with Nineteen Minutes? If no-one has done it yet I'll do a heading and ask how it's going. I'll have to do some revision - I think I finished it between xmas & new year.

Did we ought to chose our next book? Any ideas?

Catsey Veteran

24-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #103

I need t brush up on 19 Minutes also, finished it weeks ago. I agree it's time for the next selection; Someone had mentioned A Mercy; just read a critical review saying it was a difficult read and confusing the way the author switched from voice to voice of the characters. Just posting this FYI.

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #104

All readers might be interested but I am thinking particularly of Dandysmom and have put this link to a very good (so far) book I am listening to in dramatised parts.
It's a crime novel but with reading and a book club involved. The police are sent a novel written by a reclusive author, apparently recently deceased, which the anonymous sender maintains is actually a confession to murder.
I've only heard two parts but am enjoying it greatly.
You can listen again via the links, or simply get the book and read it, I guess.

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #105

DM, you're certainly spot on about my tastes in fiction! That sounds exactly the sort of light reading police procedural I'd enjoy....but neither the library nor Amazon have it! Drat!

I'm currently reading another Jodi Picalt I got at the library, The Tenth Circle: basically same plot, high school traumas, rape, suicide, small town setting, eccentric father, mother having an affair with a student.... but a good relaxing read!

Catsey Veteran

10-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #106

D'you know, I think this is so brand new it's not even in print yet? I've googled but the only references I find are to the BBC dramatisation.
Can you not use the iPlayer to listen to it DM? You can catch up the two episodes already broadcast and listen to the rest daily. I think the whole lot will remain available till Friday of next week

Catsey Veteran

27-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #107

Since we haven't decided on the next book thought perhaps we could mention what we're currently reading. I'm about half way thru Jeffrey Archer's A Prisoner of Birth. It's supposedly a modern retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo. I read that in my teens and can't truthfully remember much of it (will read a precis after I've finished this one). Basically, it's about a lower class London lad who's falsely accused and convicted of a murder by a close-knit group of four upper class friends from Cambridge one of whom is the actual murderer!) Won't go into any spoiler details, but this is a page turner. A nice long read, almost 500 pages.

Catsey Veteran

28-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #108

bump ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #109

Well I'm embarrassed to say I'm still on The Time Traveller's Wife, but loving every page of it . . . and raving about it so OH is planning to read it after me. Apart from the classics I know little about what's good currently so picking up the odd snippet here and there from you bookworms is excellent for me

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Havana brown, Bengal
28-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #110

I read a lot so this thread seems interesting - I read Time Travellers wife ages ago and loved it.. so what is the current read? I suppose I could backtrack through the post to find it.

Ny tastes in books if really catholic, is it in a book? Have I read it before, no? ok I'll read it.

I got the Sony portable reader as a pressy six months ago or so, and I love it, really light weight and it goes in my handbag all the time. Really useful as I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms at the moment (my elderly Mum is sick, she has cancer) so I take her and wait around a lot. My Sony reader comes with me!