Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Lexi & Eddie
23-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #1

Cats and Pregnancy

Can someone fill me in on what is dangerous for pregnant women with cats? And why?

Thanks

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #2

Re: Cats and Pregnancy

Toxoplasmosis is the biggest danger to pregnant women , this link will give you more information on how it's contracted.......

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/h...ve/000196.html

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
23-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #3

Just found this...

Pregnant women need to be aware that toxoplasmosis (TOX-so-plaz-MO-sis) can cause problems with pregnancy, including abortion. Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite is carried by cats and is passed in their feces (stool). However, people are more likely to get toxoplasmosis from eating undercooked meat or gardening than from contact with pet cats. By following simple safety tips, pregnant women can reduce the risk of getting toxoplasmosis from cats.

If you own a cat, have a non-pregnant person change the litter box every day. If there is no one else to change the litter box, wear gloves and wash hands with soap and running water after changing the litter.
Risk may be reduced if the litter box is changed every day.
Keep cats indoors.
Avoid adopting or handling stray cats.
Feed cats only canned or dried commercial cat food, never undercooked or raw meat.
Do not bring a new cat into your house that might have been an outdoor cat or might have been fed raw meat.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pregnant.htm

If you go to the website there is an informative brochure for pregnant women.

Hope this is what you wanted to know

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
23-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #4

Yep, toxo is the only hazard I'm aware of.

Catsey Junior

24-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #5

When it talks about changing litter trays does that mean to change THE ENTIRE litter tray or just to scoop it out every day?

I dont feed any raw meat just tinned fish, does that have the same effect?

My kitties are indoor kitties so does that mean they will be at less of a risk of carrying toxoplasmosis?

Thanks so much for all your help, we are planning on starting a family this year so I am doing my research!

Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #6

Well, I had cats during both of my pregnancies with no probs. All I did differently was got OH to do litter tray duty and that was it. I fed mine exactly the same as always and just used an antibacterial cleaner for any kitchen surfaces. Good luck with starting your family (and enjoy the practicing, lol)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
24-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #7

Alex

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #8

What!!!!!!!!!!lol!!

Catsey Junior

26-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #9

Thanks, that puts my mind at rest! OH knows he's gonna be on litter tray duties for a while - I did mention to him to start practising his scooping technique how but he wasn't having any of it! lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #10

Ok, just to put your mind at rest, if you've had cats for some time it's quite likely that you've already had toxoplasmosis without even realising it (mild, flu-like symptoms). You'll therefore have built up the antibodies to resist you catching it again. I've continued to scoop the litter trays throughout both my pregnancies with no adverse effects at all.

Of course, err on the side of caution, if you have to do it, wear gloves or as you say, get someone else to do it. But don't go daft like some of the people on Bounty (preg. forum) and rehome your cats in wild panic