Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
20-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #31

Re: Cat-friendly breed of dog?

Have you thought of a standard dachshund as they are bigger but still small.
I walk one for a lady and she lives in a one bed bungalow and the dog is fine. He is also good with the ladies daughters cats.
The link below is for a site with some informaiotn on them.
http://www.dogclub.co.uk/dogs/profile-ddwh.php
Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
20-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #32

Exciting time ahead then.....keep us all posted - Ive never had dogs x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
21-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Someone on here has a rescue greyhound who is is??? is it Kim????
Yes it is me!! I did see the earlier posts to this thread but thought a grey might be too big.

I adore greyhounds, they are big babies, couch potatoes, don't need much exercise, despite what a lot of people think. Actually we are fostering an ex-racer greyhound this week-end, Rudy. He is a babe! He completly ignores the cats and turns his head the other way if they approach him! I will start a new thread about him and post some piccies later. I would recommend greys 100% (but I am biased!!) You will have to be careful though, as they are often used as racers they are certainly not all cat friendly. Rudy had lived with cats and is only in kennels because his owners relationship broke down, so I knew he should be okay here. I was cautious at first though.

Not sure if this link will work, but this is the thread to where he is kennelled. Just in case you are confused, my name is Brenda on here, which is my first name, my middle name is Kim, which I prefer.

http://wlld.proboards62.com/index.cg...7317917&page=2

Her is another link, on the same rescue site to another grehound called Norman. He sounds such an easy dog, but it doesn't say if he is cat friendly.

http://wlld.proboards62.com/index.cg...d=116 9317228

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
21-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #34

OMG! (imagine hearts here, can't get emoticons to work)

I think you should go & get Norman - immediately

I worked at a greyhound kennels when I was at school & briefly when I left school, they are lovely dogs & although quite big, they are not a boisterous dog like some other breeds & they are quite slight in build, so they're kind of not that big really

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
21-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #35

Wow - Norman is gorgeous!!!!

I've had a little look this weekend at adverts for dogs that are available in my area and have realised that it's sooooo different to getting a new cat!!! I have also found that the people with litters of pups don't seem to be so helpful as I hoped. Not that I'm generalising!! I have also had concerns about some of the ads I've seen and whether they could be puppy farms.
I think a rescue is the way forward, but the worry for me with that is how they would get on with the cats if they are older and already have some life experience.

Going to look at the white lodge longdogs site again now............

xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #36

I like greyhounds/whippets/lurchers and those I have seen in friends houses you would hardly know they are there they seem to be able to take up the smallest of spaces.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
Wow - Norman is gorgeous!!!!

I've had a little look this weekend at adverts for dogs that are available in my area and have realised that it's sooooo different to getting a new cat!!! I have also found that the people with litters of pups don't seem to be so helpful as I hoped. Not that I'm generalising!! I have also had concerns about some of the ads I've seen and whether they could be puppy farms.
I think a rescue is the way forward, but the worry for me with that is how they would get on with the cats if they are older and already have some life experience.

Going to look at the white lodge longdogs site again now............

xx
As a new dog owner I think maybe a rescue like from whitelodge or similar would be ideal for you. Especially as somewhere like whitelodge for instance you could approahc them explain your situation and ask if you could foster first with a view to homing on a forever basis.

That way you get a trial run, which is nice test the water without jumping straight in.

I think from your posts a greyhound or similar would be ideal for you - don;t know why. As I should be voting for a Staff but don't think that would be your sort of dog.

Sorry to presume.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
21-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #38

I think most rescue places should be able to tell you if the dogs are ok with cats. If the dog has a known history, they can tell you if he's lived with cats. If they have no history, they may have cats that live there (at the rescue place) who are introduced to the dogs to gage their reaction.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #39

CB - we brought a rescue lurcher (less classy pointy dog!) into a house with cats. He had been cat tested at the rescue and he was absolutely fine. Actually he was rather shy/frightened of the cats, rather than just 'good'. And I agree with Kazz - although they are big standing up they don't take up too much space in the home - they fold up small!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
22-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #40

Firstly definitely get a rescue dog. I think most dogs given the time and space will get used to cats. I have had several different breeds and have all settle with the cats eventually. I currently live with a lurcher so am biased but although she doesn't actually love the cats they all coexist harmoniously.