Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
19-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #1

Cat-friendly breed of dog?

I'm toying with the idea of getting a dog and was wondering if anyone could recommend any specific breeds that are good with cats.

Out of my 5 cats, 4 have lived with or had experience with dogs before, so I don't think they will be bothered.

I don't want a huge dog though, something small-ish, but not handbag sized!!! lol Although maybe the cats would be less intimidated with a handbag-sized mutt!!!

If I get a bitch I will be able to bring her to work with me too, so she wouldn't be left at home alone!!!!

What does everyone think??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
19-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #2

Re: Cat-friendly breed of dog?

my 5 cats live very happily with 2 staffies and a Boxer....The staffies tend to mother the cats...Each time I introduced a new cat, they dogs just accepted it...Even Chancer who wa a adult.....Its really up to you to make sure they sure intoduced properly...A Pup should be no problem....

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #3

Thanks Moli..........I would make sure that they were all introduced properly. Do you think a pup would be better or too hyper??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #4

My 8 cats all live happily with our Chocolate Labrador Retrievers, however, I am thinking that Labs are a little bit bigger than you are thinking?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
19-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #5

My Nan and uncle both have a staffordshire bull terrier (both males) and they get on fine with cats. My nans staffie is the softest dog you could ever meet - he used to lick my guinea-pigs (when we had them!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
19-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
Thanks Moli..........I would make sure that they were all introduced properly. Do you think a pup would be better or too hyper??

A pup would learn to respect the cats, an adult dog may be a lot harder to introduce unless it had lived with cats, My girls are great with my 5 cats, but will chase any cat that comes into the garden...

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
My 8 cats all live happily with our Chocolate Labrador Retrievers, however, I am thinking that Labs are a little bit bigger than you are thinking?
Yes, Fran - a little bigger than I had thought!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
19-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #8

I think you should look into taking on a Guide dog Brood bitch

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
19-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #9

Our cats allways lived with a small infantry of staffords & dobes oh and a derranged little peke...
Our dearly departed Jack Russell bitch was cat mad, she brought clementine up from a very small kitten and mostwill remember how close they were-Clem acually thought of her as mummy.
Our present two get on with the cats well, we have an X breed & an English Springer Spaniel, the latter being Ralph and sometimes he loves to play chase the moggie but being a baby, and this game usually instigated by the cats, i wouldnt expect much less.
However Springer's CAN be hardwork, definatley not for those of the faint heart..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
19-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #10

Our 9 cats get on with our 3 dogs famously. The dogs are of varying sizes being a Bullmastiff, Border Collie and a Jack Russell. The Jack Russell actually looks after the kittens if he gets a chance.