Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #11

Re: Traditions - do we need them

I suppose it depends on the funeral you are going to and the wishes of the deceased if know. If I was attending a family funeral and my children were going I would want them to dress smartly. Not got much money but even so would get round that by them wearing their black school trousers with a smart top. Not having an outfit is no excuse.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
14-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #12

I find wearing tracksuits fairly abhorant and best of times (except in the gym or on the sports field - call me old fashioned). And at a funeral I personally think it is a complete disregared for the solemnity of the occasion to wear jeans or tracksuits. A funeral doesn't have to be a morose occasion and in fact it can be a celebration but the fact of the matter remains it's about paying last respects . . . with the emphasis on the latter of these 3 words and a certain code of conduct should be observed.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
15-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #13

Traditions and ways of life change - what was important for one generation of people might not be important to another generation. I don't think that makes you less respectful.

Me personally when it comes to paying my last respects means to me not what I'm wearing but remembering the person and their life and what I learned from that person.

I think it would be more dis-respectful to worry about what other people were wearing rather than think about and talk about the life of the person that has now gone - jmo.

Also when it comes to traditions I think it is important that they change. It is through them changing that we can try to become better people and advance ourselves trying to make this world better for the next generation (I'm not saying that it is a better world that we are living in just now - I know its far from that!). Look at some countries where traditions have remained the same for hundreds of years - where women have to stay at home and bring up children because its tradition - or is that a whole other debate - lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
15-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #14

I have to agree with Emm. I don't really think that what you wear to a funeral makes that much difference. I personally wouldn't wear a tracksuit, but think smart/casual is okay. I try to think of funerals as a celebration of someones life and for me black is too sombre. I know it is a sad occasion and I respect that, but unless black is specifically requested I think it is a good idea to wear something that reflects the deceased. Many of my patients (I am a cancer care nurse) plan their own funerals and I'm surprised at how many specifically ask that black is not worn. I think some traditions are important and I like to see them, but others are outdated and I think we have to move with the times.