Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: mixture
17-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

stray cat with kittens - possibly pregnant

hi, i'm new here and looking for a bit of advice. i have always had cats - in fact i have 10 at the moment that are all rescues for one reason or another. on top of these cats i now have a young cat that was dumped at a local nursey school. they have been living rough since half term in may and it took until now to catch them. i fetched her and her kitten yesterday. the other 2 kittens have been re-homed with school teachers. anyway, i have been to the vets today with the mom and kitten as i wanted to check because i think she may be pregnant again. the kitten is approx 6-8 weeks old and still weaning off mom. but mom's stomach is really big and firm. yesterday we saw a 'lump' move across the stomach then disappear. the vet wasn't sure when he palpated her so called another vet in for a second opinion. he said he thought she was definitely pregnant. so we decided to do a scan. this wasn't very successful as the vet first thought he saw a kitten that looked deformed. then after that he couldn't see anything that resembled a kitten. my questions are that if a cat is still weaning the kittens a)can she get pregnant b)would her stomach stay large and hard. she actually looks pregnant c)when would kittens show up on a scan and lastly d)can it be possible to not see the kittens - could they be behind something in her stomach - he did say how her stomach was very large. sorry for such a long question but i have always had my cats neutured/spayed and have never had to deal with this before.
Edit/Delete Message

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #2

Re: stray cat with kittens - possibly pregnant

Gosh, that's a horrible situation to be in I would be guided by your vet, could they not try another scan to see if they can conclusively tell what's going on? To answer your question, I thinks cat can fall pregnant when still weaning. The other thing to consider is that she may have a tumour, be carrying a dead kitten etc. I think you need to get the vet to verify for sure. xx

Cats owned: mixture
18-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #3

thankyou. i have got to take her back in 2 weeks for another checkup. hopefully they will be able to verify things then.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #4

Poor cat ..... thank goodness she has you to take care of her now. I am sure a cat can get pregnant whilst nursing, but your other Qs are beyond my knowledge. Hope you find out what's going on at the next appointment. If the vet was willing, I think I'd opt for a termination/spay.