Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Moggy
28-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

Soft stools in 5 month old kitten

Hi everyone!
My kitten Geoffrey is nearly 5 months old. He's been brilliant since we got him with no problems at all until this week...
On Tuesday morning I noticed when I was clearing his litter tray that his poo was soft whereas it had always been well formed previously. I thought it was a one off and left him alone.
On Tuesday evening I noticed the same thing so went to our local pet store and asked for a bit of advice.
They said it could be that the Whiskas wet kitten food he's been on since we got him (3 months ago!) could have become too much for him due to the rubbish they put in it. They likened it to us eating cheeseburgers every day and that eventually it takes it's toll! They recommended moving him slowly on to dry food by feeding both and cutting down on the Whiskas each day.
I've been doing this and I must say that the poo is a bit firmer but still on the soft side.
I will keep reducing the wet food over the weekend and see how he gets on but has anyone had a similar experience?
Other than his soft poo he is eating, drinking, playing etc so is happy and healthy with the loudest purr I have ever heard!
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #2

Re: Soft stools in 5 month old kitten

Think rather than ask the pet shop you wouldve been better to ask your Vet, this little guy may have had an upset digestion. What dry food are you feeding? We had problems with one of ours in early days & found out it was the dry food he couldnt tolerate, just food for thought. I would still be inclined to let your vet give him the once over

Cats owned: Moggy
29-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #3

Since posting, the vet has seen him & says he is fine!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
30-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #4

Are his stools now fine too

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
07-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

When tinkerbelle was 3 months we had a similar problem, there was a little blood in her poo too so after vetinary advice we wormed her and weaned her on to dry food.

We've had no problems since except for this morning... See my thread 'help needed'

Hope kitten is all sorted now xx