Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Shorthairs
26-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #1

Fleas

So my little ones didn't have fleas when i got them and cleaned them, but i live on a yard and they are housed in a stable and there was a feral cat that lived here for a while when my other cat died (we chased it, i didn't want it sticking around because i knew i would get kittens again) but it seems to have infested the hay with fleas. I can't get rid of the hay because i need it for the animals, but what would be the best action to take Re the kittens? I have used a generic flea powder that was suitable for ktitens but i can't see it being very effective for long, so i was wondering what other SAFE measures i can take?

They are still very young, supposed to be 8 weeks but i would guess they are maybe younger. Any help appreciated

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #2

Re: Fleas

It's hard if you can't be sure about the kittens' age - you really can't use chemicals on kits under 6 weeks, but as soon as they are 8 weeks or older you can use a spot on treatment such as Advantage that you can get from a vet or online with a prescription.

Any younger and I think it's the good old flea comb and a cup of hot water to kill the fleas.

Flea infestation is as I'm sure you know, highly dangerous for young kittens who can die of anaemia. As you say that they live in the barn with straw which is probably infested, I would suggest that you need to find them alternative housing at least until they grow up a bit and can have the spot on treatment.

Good luck!

Cats owned: Shorthairs
26-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Re: Fleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It's hard if you can't be sure about the kittens' age - you really can't use chemicals on kits under 6 weeks, but as soon as they are 8 weeks or older you can use a spot on treatment such as Advantage that you can get from a vet or online with a prescription.

Any younger and I think it's the good old flea comb and a cup of hot water to kill the fleas.

Flea infestation is as I'm sure you know, highly dangerous for young kittens who can die of anaemia. As you say that they live in the barn with straw which is probably infested, I would suggest that you need to find them alternative housing at least until they grow up a bit and can have the spot on treatment.

Good luck!
Hi thanks. I don't think they are under 6 weeks but they are going to the vet for their check up on Thursday so he can advise spot on. I will try the comb and water! As for the hay - it will be getting taken out soon for the new hay but not for a few weeks unfortunately. I will try to get it out sooner.