Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
31-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Frontine

Denis has a little bald patch between his shoulder blades which I have only just noticed so it can not of been there for longer than today (he is harnessed and gets lots of affection so I think I would have seen it sooner) however I am unsure how he has got it.

Only thing I can think of it that about a week ago I put frontline spot on flea on him (usually a little higher than where this is but may have put it in this spot) We have used it forever with no problems at all so I am wondering if it was possibly out of date (have to say I didnt check but wouldnt have assumed it was)

He is not itching, it is not crusty, doesnt look sore, nor did it bother him when I touched it or bathed it.

Has anyone else experienced this with frontline (out of date or otherwise?)

Has anyone any ideas what it is if not this?

He is due his needles in a couple of weeks and I wanted to know do I wait or get him in sooner?

Thanks in advance

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #2

Re: Frontine

I know that one of mine (can't remember which one now) reacted a bit with spot-on flea treatment . . . although we used Advantage . . . and lost a bit of fur which quickly grew back.

I think as long as there is nothing else that's manifesting he should be fine - however monitor him next time you use it as I know from personal experience that allergic reactions can have a nasty habit of increasing in intensity each time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
01-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

Re: Frontine

Dont use it - the bald spot is where he has torn the hair out to get at the irritation. See below - we had a terrible reaction to it this week

What is the active ingredient of this product and what type of compound is it? *This poduct*contains fipronil, which is the first of a totally new family of molecules called the phenylpyrazoles. (It is not an organophosphorus compound).

So then i looked up "Phenylpyrazoles". Which put simply is a Pesticide. *Im horrified that our pets are being treated with pesticides directly to their skin!

Is prevention better than cure - after this, no i dont think so. Will wait now to see if or when problems do occur & then do something about it - will be possibly looking into herbal intervention

Our vet is reporting this to the Company as the reaction was so severe*