Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #1

Molly Parkin.

Molly Parkin arrived at the end on November, due mainly to being aggressive and an added complication of having mammary cancer, one lump had been removed and another had appeared. We had this lump removed and it was confirmed as a mammary cancer.
She has done well and was in the vet 13 days ago for her first vaccination.
In the beginning of the week I noticed her coughing so took her in on Friday- he lungs were filled with fluid. She spent the day at the vet and we took her home in the evening with masses of medications.
She was back today for more x-rays, to try and see what was going on, thankfully the meds have removed the fluid but have showed up tumours in the lungs, secondary to the mammary cancer.
She is on steroids ( prednisolone) and diuretic ( frusemide), obviously we will keep her comfortable until she is no longer happy- anybody any advice?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Re: Molly Parkin.

So sorry to hear this news Farthing. Poor Molly - all you can do is keep her as comfortable as possible. Her lungs may fill up again quickly but hopefully her medication may help delay it.

Healing vibes being sent.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
22-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #3

Frusimide pretty strong diuretic, make them wee a lot. Poor little girl, hope she continues to make steady progress. Hugs x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #4

No realy advice Farthing, sorry. I think as you probably already know it's a case of watching for any sign of deterioration and acting accordingly. Poor little Molly

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
23-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #5

aww sorry to hear that Molly isnt well, healing vibes being sent from us xx

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

So far Molly is holding her own, she's lethargic and there is a fair bit of abdominal effort involved in her breathing but she is not mouth breathing or coughing. Her appetite is not as good as I would like, especially with her being on steriods but she is eating and all bodily functions are working. It was a concern when it was really hot a week ago but we now have the heating on again to keep her warm, as well as an open window for plenty of ventilation. I don't think we have long with her but she still loves a cuddle, although purring can cause coughing so I try to cuddle short times often rather than full on.

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #7

Gentle, comforting smooths for Molly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
05-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #8

Hugs and healing vibes x

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #9

I think we will be saying goodbye to Molly Parkin on Monday. She is on quite a high dose of steriods but is only picking at food and losing weight. I'm going to spend the weekend trying lots of types of food to tempt her but I suspect it will not work- I've tried quite a few types already.
Please think of her and hope she starts to eat, otherwise it is not fair to continue and put her through anymore.

Catsey Veteran

09-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

Comforting vibes for you and Molly, farthing. There comes a time when nothing can be done with kindness in mind, and you know better than most when that time has come. xxx