Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
21-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #21

Re: Imminent birth...advice please

Your doing a great job looking after the little family, thanks for the updates.
Good luck finding homes for the Kittens, maybe Gaia could disappear to, her owners don't deserve cats

Cats owned: Moggies
21-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #22

My friend Sue got home this afternoon to find a very distressed Gaia, shouting at her and following her around until she went to where the kittens were. Sue managed to get the kittens out of the nest...she said they were cold and not moving much.

Mother and kittens are now in a warm box in the sitting room, and Gaia is purring away. After a couple of hours, four of them are crawling around, suckling and meowing. There is a fifth little ginger guy who is alive, but very listless. He doesn't seem to have suckled. Is there anything we can do?

Catsey Veteran

21-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #23

i have no experience with Kittens, but have you tried putting him near to a teat ?
If he won't feed then you could get some kitten milk and try feeding him with a dropper. I think tiny kittens need feeding every couple of hours. Probably a vet would be able to give the best advice, poor babies, i hope they all make it

21-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
i have no experience with Kittens, but have you tried putting him near to a teat ?
If he won't feed then you could get some kitten milk and try feeding him with a dropper. I think tiny kittens need feeding every couple of hours. Probably a vet would be able to give the best advice, poor babies, i hope they all make it
I tried putting him on a teat, but no interest. We've tried a bit of water with a dropper, but I don't think much went in. Interestingly his mother hasn't chewed off his umbilical cord, but she has with all the others.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #25

That's very sad, but the kitten may have something wrong with it that mother cat senses. He may have an infection from the umbilical cord or something else. He may have reacted to having got cold and not be able to warm up as his siblings have. I would try warming a towel and wrapping him in it and rubbing him very gently.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
21-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #26

aww i do hope the little 1 perks up, thats great news that the Gaia and kittens are now safe and warm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
22-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #27

It sounds to me as if mum is rejecting him. You could try getting some cimicat milk and feeding him yourself, but tbh it doesn't sound as if the little fella is going to make it

22-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #28

Just had an update from Sue, and the wee fellow didn't make it through the night. At least he died snuggled up with his Mum, poor mite.

Three of the remaining four are very active. They're all cream with dark noses, ears, tails and legs. There's some Siamese in the parentage somewhere, we think, so they should be little beauties.

Catsey Veteran

22-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #29

very sorry to hear the little Ginger baby didn't make it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #30

So sorry for little ginger kit. Let's hope all the others thrive.