Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
30-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

Re: update on Jerry

Somewhere, probably in big pile of paperwork!, I've got a book about FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract) in cats that you are more than welcome to borrow. It's got a lot of good advice and practical tips.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Somewhere, probably in big pile of paperwork!, I've got a book about FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract) in cats that you are more than welcome to borrow. It's got a lot of good advice and practical tips.
That would be marvellous PL.
I feel better knowing i can get something like cystaid, i'd never heard of it before. I'm also going to put him back on laxapet. The vet told me that parafin ? and oil as in fish oil will do the same job but he won't eat the fish or food that i put oil on.
I thought there was a web site that our last vet reccomended, i think it is called fab cats but it doesn't seem to be what i thought.
My plan is to ring the vet tomorrow for a chat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

Hi Shelly, just wanted to ask, did your vet take a blood sample? I assume he would have checked the ph of his wee, did he happen to mention its concentration?
My gut feeling would be to get a blood count done to confirm or deny kidney issues.
CRF cats are prone to cystitis, constipation and hind leg weakness, given his age, I'd say that everything is relevant. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
01-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #14

I'll dig it out tomorrow for you, I'd second Elaine's suggestion for a blood sample-it doesn't necessarily have to be very stressful, I'm sure the staff will do everything they can to make it as quick and painless as possible.

Catsey Veteran

01-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #15

Hi Elaine and PL, the vet is not keen at all to take a blood sample and i'm a bit scared to push as , we lost our dog due to stress on a vets visit. I did assume that he would do a blood test on our second visit.He has tested his urine twice and found blood the first time which went once he'd been on AB's. The next time there were white blood cells.I think the problem with the hind legs is a neurological condition that is hereditary as all the boys as far as we know from the litter had weak hind legs, Jerry's of course are worse as he has survived the longest. The female of the litter is fine, despite living a hard life. Generaly Jerry does look in good condition for his age and the vet was surprised at how old he is.I'm going to ring him tomorrow to discuss my concerns and will update. Thanks ever so much for the feedback everyone

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
02-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #16

Although I know you are worried about the stress at the vets, it's very unusually to die, so I would push for blood tests if the worry of a heart attack is stopping you. If he needs treatment it's better to catch it sooner when you can do something about it.
Do you have a litter tray, it may be that he really does not want to go outside and holding it in is causing cystitis. It may also be difficult for him to feel safe weeing, especially if he has hind leg weakness and he will feel much happier to use a covered litter tray in a quiet spot. I would strongly advise a litter tray anyway, because if he has either cystitis or renal issues he will want to pee more than normal and if he doesn't want to go out it will make him very uncomfortable.

Catsey Veteran

02-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #17

thanks Farthing, yes i am worried about heart attack because our dog did actualy keel over in the vets waiting room and die, it was horrific.
I do know what your saying about catching anything early and this is why i've phoned the vet today. I think he's looked at the general condition of Jerry and thought it's better to leave alone.
However i have spoke to the nurse today, i asked to speak to the vet when convinient, to be told i'd be lucky as he was operating .
I managed to rise above it and told her my concerns, she has said she understands and will ask the vet again what he thinks and get back to me.i asked her about cystaid and she said the problem would be medicating him as this could cause further stress and trigger an attack. This wouldn't actualy be a problem as i medicate him using chicken pieces.
I have tried a litter tray but not a covered one yet.
I'm taking him out at regular intervals to wee.

Catsey Veteran

06-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #18

Update on the boy !
Jerry isn't using the litter tray, i tried putting a couple of tissues with his wee in it but no result, except silly Kwame went in and ate the tissues i think as there's no sign of them.
The vet has decided to give Jerry Fortekor tablets to support his kidneys and some chill pills in the form of Zyklene. We are to report back in approx 10 days, so here's hoping.
I think deep down i knew he had kidney failure and i feel like we are doing everything possible for him. Going to order some more laxapet to help his bowels.
His wee sample tonight tested clear, he led me a merry dance around the garden to get it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #19

It's brilliant that his wee sample was clear Shelley - you must be encouraged by that.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
06-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #20

Just been following your story, lots of love to you and jerry x