Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
16-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

update on Jerry

we are back from the vet with jerry, he was such a good boy. The vet thinks it's probably Cystitis and could be the start of a chronic cystitis problem. This time there was no blood in his wee but there was white blood cells.
He doesn't want to do further tests due to Jerry's age and also because other than this problem he feels he is a healthy cat. He has another course of AB's and we can ring up and request more whenever the problem flares up.
I mentioned that he wasn't going out much at all during the day, possibly due to the dogs and he said that a change in behaviour like this can cause Cystitis. I am going to continue to encourage Jerry into the garden at regular intervals so he can empty his bladder. He also suggested we try Jerry with a covered litter tray so he doesn't have to go out if he doesn't want to.
He's just finished his tea and will no doubt have a snooze before going out later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
16-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #2

Re: update on Jerry

aww poor jerry! hope the ab's clear it up for him, shame it sounds like he's going to get this on and off! we have a covered litter tray for pip he loves going in and digging about, chucking out mess in the process!! will be good for jerry as he'l get more privacy if the dogs are about

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

Oh bless him - healing vibes coming from me and mine. He's not diabetic is he Shelley? I expect that's one of the first things the vet would test for. Hope that the anti-bs work quickly for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
16-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #4

Awh bless him, all our trays are covered and our cats love them. We have 3 extra large covered trays and they are the most favoured even with the kittens

Hugs. Xx

Catsey Veteran

17-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #5

Thanks for your good wishes, Angie the vet was very reluctant to do any further testing at this point, i did wonder about diabetes myself but i assume from the history and Jerry's condition he feels it's ok to leave it.
I think he's weighing up the distress which would be caused to Jerry by tests and i'm not as keen to press for things since we lost our elderly dog in the vets waiting room due to stress.

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

Hello, i could do with some opinions about Jerry.
Here's a quick recap.
He's 16 and quite well apart from weak hind legs which we think is hereditary. Jerry is a good weight and eating very well, however he has developed a problem with his waterworks, wearby he wets in the house maybe one or two times a week.
The vet whom is very well thought of localy has suggested that he has chronic cystitus and to treat as and when needed. He is not keen at all to do any blood tests because of Jerry's age and because he is otherwise healthy. I do see his point as we lost a dog at the vets due to fear, he had a heart attack.
I am taking Jerry into the garden to relieve himself as he is not over keen to go out sometimes.
He has just finished a course of AB's and is still having the odd accident, he sometimes wees on me as i carry him into the garden. He also produces very hard poo.
My gut feeling is that he needs tablets to support his kidneys but i wonder if the vet is reluctant to prescribe because of side effects and he thinks that whilst Jerry seems ok apart from wetting it's better to leave alone ?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #7

I wonder if having another talk with the vet would help Shelley? Tell him what you feel about kidney support - does Jerry eat renal support food? I don't know whether you can test for diabetes with a urine swab like you can with humans, but that would avoid having to submit Jerry to a blood test.

There is something you can give to soften stools .... can't think of the name just now, or try him on pumpkin - if you can find it and get Jerry to eat some!

Global Moderator

30-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Katalax laxative paste is good for mild constipation, that may help Jerry, Shelley...

It is a lot cheaper to buy online than from your vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
30-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #9

Sorry if I've missed it but is Jerry on any supplements for urinary tract health (cystaid, cystophan etc which help to maintain the protective layer within the bladder and urinary tract)
It is possible to pick up glucose in a urine sample and it may be worth getting another sample to check his ability to concentrate his urine as well as checking for any protein loss etc.
I would've thought that your vet would require a blood sample before prescribing any specific pharmaceuticals for renal support but obviously you'd need to speak to your vet for more advice.
Lactulose can be good for constipation although most cats seem to hate it as it is quite sweet, katalax or similar (for hairballs) can also help as it contains liquid paraffin.

Catsey Veteran

30-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #10

thanks Angie, Mags and PL.
I have tried Jerry on pumkin and unfortunately he won't eat it.
He isn't on any kidney support suppliments.
The vet just advised Ab' when he needs them.
I think i'm going to have to ring him on Monday and talk things through. I get the impression we should leave well alone but i can't shake the feeling we should be doing more. A few people i've spoke to who know the vet tell me to just trust what he's said, but it realy worries me when Jerry wees when i pick him up. I'm not bothered about cleaning up, just that we want to maintain his health for as long as possible.